goats ever wag their tails when not in heat?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by xoxoGOATSxoxo, Dec 29, 2006.

1. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

I have a goat who is wagging her tail (or she was yesterday) and shes already been bred. I really hope that shes not in heat, itll be kind of a hassle to breed her this late. Does anybody know any does who go through false heats after theyve been bred? I've heard this happens sometimes. I have a buck rag that she sniffed and licked, then she chased the cat who was walking past. But, she also sniffed and licked a glove that did not smell like buck.

confused....

:(

2. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Mine wag their tails for all sorts of reasons - when you stroke them, when they like their food, when they're annoyed . . . :rolleyes:

3. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i guess some like to wag their tail no matter what.
    there are other signs for heat for example mucus from vulva, vulva swollen and more pink than normal. want to be near the buck, talking more, less appetite.
    do you see any of this in your doe?

4. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Yep, mine wag their tails alot also. That is why I have a hard time sometimes figuring when they are in heat. I hear they wag it when they are content.

5. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

My lamanchas wag their tails all the time, never when they're in heat. They usually just scream. My alpine doesn't wag much, but when she's in heat it's going about 100 miles an hour. Goats are never easy, are they?

6. pookshollow

There's a reason why the root of "capricious" is "caprine". ;)

7. xoxoGOATSxoxo

No, no, the only signs that she ever has is bleating and tail wagging. Shes always hungry, and never has any signs of heat around the back end, besides the tail wagging. And I don't have a buck. Shes a Saanen, and very discreet about those darn heat periods.

anyway...

8. pookshollow

Really?!? Wow. My two are anything but. The big girl hollers for three days and her six-month old doeling hollers for two - and looks like someone took a pink highlighter to her backside! :p

9. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I got a chuckle remembering when I was feeding 10 babies on a Lambar-type bucket.

We would pat each of their backs in turn and pretend we were playing bells in a bell choir because each time you touched a baby that was greedily sucking down mik their tail would wag really fast for a few seconds.

Okay, we're weird, what can I say?

10. pookshollow

Hey, if it had been me, I might have tied a bell to each tail and done it for real! :dance:

11. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky
    Jillis mine wag their tails too when eating - the babies that is. It has become a game with us to see who can keep their baby's tail wagging the most. What can I say . . . we are easily amused. :shrug:

Anne
    Cowgirlracer
    :hobbyhors

12. xoxoGOATSxoxo

Lucky you!! :) This is only gonna be the second time shes been bred. And I'm such a dunce- I didnt write down anything about her being in heat last year. The "symptoms" and such.

13. pookshollow

Well, they're not all that easy. I never got my Alpine bred last year because I couldn't tell if she was in heat. Fortunately, I had a buckling on hand this year, so she's bred now - and starting to look a little more "rotund" after two months. My Nubian cross doesn't holler - she just acts like a buck and runs around mounting every one (including the buck!).

One of my little Nigie doelings is in heat today along with Polly, the big Saanen. It's very noisy in the barn! The Nigie isn't old enough yet and the breeder is taking her back, so she's out of luck. :rolleyes: I have to phone a local goat farmer and go visit his bucks, see if I like the look of them, then Polly can be bred on her next heat.

14. xoxoGOATSxoxo

Good luck.
    I hope there are some nice bucks. :)

What concerns me is that she is not wagging her tail at all today. I dunno if she's in a bad mood or what. It's only been a month since she's been bred, so I probably wont be able to tell for at least another month.

15. pookshollow

They should be pretty nice - he shows locally, in fact he was the only exhibitor dressed in show "whites", and other people I spoke to thought highly of him.

My Saanen has been coming into heat every two weeks, so I should think that after a month, you'll be safe. My two that I bred back in mid/late October are starting to show little round baby bellies! :dance: