Goats & eggs

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mamahen, Feb 1, 2005.

1. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

I posted previously about my goats being in with my hens.

Well, I haven't gotten any eggs since about Oct.!! I just figured my hens were slowing down, they are 3 this year.

I found one egg in the nest box about 3 weeks ago. But it was cracked. My son found two hens eating an egg, minus the shell 2 days ago. There wasn't even a speck of shell any where. So I moved the hens to the other barn (but the windows are broken, due to active horns!) I found a whole intact egg later in the afternoon. But I broke it when I moved the bale it was on.

Later I caught my doe eating the shell, after I gave the broken egg to the cats. :confused:

Why would she be eating the egg shells? She will try just about anything, but not my eggs, thank you very much!! Could she be lacking something? She gets grass hay, 1 cup of goat feed & free choice goat mineral block. Also 1/4 cup molasses in her water (3 gallons) & baking soda free choice.

I have the 2 barns, and I'm trying to figure out where to put everyone. Kind of like the story of the fox & hens on the boat. Who goes where?

2. Farmgirl2005

Farmgirl2005 Well-Known Member

I thought goats were suppose to get molasses i thought it was really bad for them.
    Lyn

3. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Probably for the calcium in the shell only. I feed alfalfa pellets and free choice loose goat minerals never have had a goat get into eggs. but I also dry and grind my egg shells added to their feed for the extra calcium.

4. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Hooo Weee! that's a lot of molassas! On cold days with warm water I barely put in a teaspoon, it just turns the water a bit darker and they suck it up.
    Can't help you with the egg eating.. the chickens here all have their place to lay and it's not where the goats can get to them.. try fixing the the hen's a place to lay their eggs so you know where to find 'em.. I have a bucket in the barn with a few bricks on the bottom so it won't tip over, covered with straw and a nice fake egg in the middle.. it has become a popular place to lay! that way, they can lay in the barn where they want, but in a spot that I choose.. :cool:

but seriously, I would cut back on the molassas a bit.. :)

5. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I give that much mollasse in my ten ten gal. bucket, and it for several goats , and a couple of dogs, that always drink out of the goat water. but I don't do that every day, only when it is very cold out side, very cold zero or below, and after the kid, and maybe just before.
    IF you want to flavor her water, add a half a box of jello, or kool-aid. I give mine daily vits, and calcuim. and free alfha hay

6. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

have to agree I only give molasses in water after kidding or to a sick animal for quick energy.

7. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Goats will taste anything- and if they find it has something they need, they'll eat it up! I wonder if your goats aren't getting enough calcium and/or protein. If she's milking or in the last 2 months of pregnancy, she'll be using a lot of both.
    If you have access to alfalfa or alfalfa pellets, I would start feeding those. You could also supplement with dicalcium phos. which is pretty cheap (here it's around $5 for 50 lbs) get her calcium and phos. in a good ratio.

You might want to have a hay test done to see what the nutrition level is- runs about $11. DHIA, ag college and County Extension can all help you with getting the test and interpreting the results. Good luck!

8. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

it may be just habit , or it may be the amount of iron shes getting from the molasses, and shes trying to counter act it ( calcium and iron nutrilize each other, thats why when humans supplement, not supposed to take them together, same reason)

molasses is high in iron ,which is good, but i agree the amount youre giving here is a bit excessive, not to mention it cant be cheap .....
    cut back by 1/2 to start with , then cut back half again in another week , in the mean time get some oyster shell grit for the chickens , i just bought mine is was 5.25 for a 50 lb bag, set it out for the hens, and perhaps some for the goats too.... like 1/2 c a day

9. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

Ok, I measured how much molasses I'm giving, & it's not quite as much as I thought! :eek: But all the animals (chickens, geese, dogs & goats) share the water. I carry it out in two buckets (which my hubby thoughfully informed me last night are 5 gal. not 3. I thought they were heavy!) I wasn't measuring when I was pouring it in. It's very old stuff & I was trying to use it up. I was only getting about 2 or 3 tablespoons of the stuff. It comes out in a thin string. But anyway, I'll cut it out today. I only started it because of the cold, cold temps we were having (below 0-). The temps have regulated to the upper 30's during the day.

I did try to get the alfalfa pellets at the feed store, but they too told me to feed rabbit pellets. Told them, nope never mind. I know that there are lots of other stuff in them, not just the alfalfa. Of course they said, it shouldn't hurt goats, they can eat anything. :no:

I did get one egg today, the hen was in the nest box, & I caught it when it hit the straw :eek: !!

No of the farmers around here want to part with any alfalfa. It's very, very pricey. And even then, they'll only sell 1 or 2 bales and act like I'm asking for gold! I guess it was the mild, wet summer we had. I'm going to try a few other feed stores around.

If worse comes to worse, & I can't find either bales or pellets, could I crush a human type calcium supplement tablet & mix it in just her water?

Thanks for all the advice!!

Tricia :)

10. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

not sure about the uman things, call the feed store and ask for horse cubes, they ar 90%+ alfalfa, that shouuld be ok, rather than bunny feed, whcih though goats love ( ask my goat Fudge where she goes when she used to getout)
    should be about 6.00 for a 50 lb bag of cubes