Goats/Donkey Question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Southernman, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Southernman

Southernman Well-Known Member

I have a in-tact donkey and had him in with my goats. When one of my girls came in season and the buck tried to satisfy her, the donkey became aggressive toward him. I immediatly seperated the donkey from the goats. Question is, if I take the donkeys "manhood" from him, will he be more calm toward my buck or is it a waste of money?

2. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I am no expert in donkeys but IMHO unless you need him intact I would geld him. I keep my male alpaca in with my bucks because he will try and breed my does and probably would get aggresive to any buck trying to breed them.

I don't know if the donkey was protecting his "girl" or protecting the herd from the buck. I know donkeys can be protective but my thought is if you don't need a intact male donkey then geld him anyways. I do know that Rams will try and can breed a goat and I know for a fact that my alpaca male trys. I can't say for sure if it would stop the behavior but again if he doesn't need to be intact geld him.

MotherClucker

3. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

You are nuts to keep an intact male in with your goats ! Most people will not keep a geld in with there goats. You are asking for trouble.

4. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree, jacks do NOT EVER belong with things smaller than them. My 33" miniature jack even attacked my 15 hh (60" tall) old appaloosa mare this spring when he was frustrated by a jennet in heat on the other side of the fence! He lived peacefully with her for two full winters, then just snapped. At least she was big enough to take care of herself, a goat isn't.

Once jacks get their attitude, gelding doesn't change it too much. Geld him anyway for his sake. Maybe he'll change, maybe he won't.