Goats bloated

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jillis, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I have no clue why. At first I thought it was because I wormed them with Cydectin. But even the two that didn't get it were bloated. I didn't change their diet, although they did get some cedar brush. But they get that frequently without bloating.

I gave them all baking soda and the one that seemed the worst, I pried her mouth open and poured in a few small handfuls of baking soda.

I don't really know what else to do but massage their bellies and keep a close eye on them. They seem to be getting better.

Any other suggestions would be welcomed. Thank you.

2. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I would give more baking soda and maybe a dose of oil. Funny I just got called to a neighbors house. What they described sounded like brain worm or polio and when I got there I determined it was bloat.

Take away grain. If possible just hay and water for a few days.

Patty

3. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

What about walking them? I read somewhere that walking (especially up and down hills) will sometimes help them belch and get control again.

4. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

My son gave them all some olive oil while I was at the store getting the baking soda. They seemed better to me when I got home but still bloated. That's when I gave them the baking soda and a good tummy rubbing. No grain for the night time graining. This morning they are fine. My son said he probably gave them too much grain that morning.

5. havenberryfarm

havenberryfarm Well-Known Member

Give lots of grass hay if you have it. The extra roughage will be nice to their tummies. I also have been known to give my milking does a calcium antacid. They love fruit flavored tums. Give one or two a day along with their hay and baking soda. Don't give it to bucks. I am not sure if the extra calcium would be safe for them. If my girls are just a little bloated from lush pasture or too much grain, an antacid will usually even them right out. It's also a cheap way to give them a little extra calcium at the end of pregnancy or when they are lactating heavily.

6. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

when my doe bloated, my vet told me to give 1 cup oil/baking soda mix and 1 cup regular dish soap. Worked great, after about an hour she was getting near normal and then lots of rubbing/squeezing/bouncing made her burp.

7. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

havenberry, my goats have access to LOTS of good grass hay all day...well, they do run out in the middle of the day, but they are all a little overweight, so I stopped replenishing midday.

Did you know that feed grade lime is calcium carbonate---the same stuff that is in TUMS? A lot cheaper too. The does eat it when I am spreading it in the stalls---I have to fight them away from the bag.

The weird thing is, I had a very acid stomach myself by last night. I could hardly sleep, for acid reflux. And I do NOT get that, ever. Today, I have a wanging headache and upset stomach...I ate some kimchi and it seems to be improving.

8. dkdairygoats

dkdairygoats Well-Known Member

Be careful with baking soda. You are much better off using oil to relieve bloat. Baking soda can make things worse by altering the pH of the digestive tract and therefore killing the good bacteria that digest food. I learned this the hard way.....use mineral oil or vegetable oil, about a pint for a full grown goat.

9. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

The point of baking soda IS to change the pH of the rumen from acid to more base, that is why it is given. I don't force it down mine, but allow the goats to eat what they instinctively see fit.