Goats be gone!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Wingdo, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Wingdo

Wingdo Well-Known Member Supporter

Well folks... guess who took a beating at the livestock auction.

I researched, asked questions of every local goat farmer I knew, prayed to the god of goat, and even after all that my Boer kids went for dang near nothing... doeling-$40, bucklings-$35, and $32... I could have chewed a 16 penny nail in half! Then to top that off, my big buck went for $105!

What went so terribly wrong was a little girl over the phone! I called and asked when the auctions' goat buyers show up and the tiny voice over the phone said every Tuesday. What she meant to say was "every third Tuesday!"

Mine were the ONLY goats at the auction, which consisted of nothing but beef cattle. Which, by-the-way, were selling at $1.06-$1.10 consistantly! I reckon as soon as I get my lower field fenced, this old boy will take a step back in time and get calves again.

So... if you're a local (N/C KY) and want to sell goats at Flemmingsburg, wait!

I was so embarassed I wasn't going to even post the results, but I figured it would be better for my partners in goat crime to have this information, and save themselves a long trip for a little reason... try Paris stockyards.

Wing

2. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

3. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

I had the same problem this year. We took 9 very healthy boer billies to the woodbury sale for the 1st time. Before I took them I asked the going price since I knew that Thompson Station posts their results and it was running over $1.05 a pound at the very least for slaughter goats. Woodbury said at least a $1 a pound. So I figure that the time and travel distance would make up for the .05 cent loss. No biggy. We needed to get rid of all these boys because they were getting too rowdy and my main buck was none too happy having to "bunk" with them. Anyway, my sweet little boys went for .82 a pound!!!! Since we didn't stay for the sale, and there were very few boers there when we dropped them off 2 hours before the sale, I'm assuming someone probably purchased them cheaply and will hold them a few more months and take them to Thompson Station. Never again will Woodbury get my goats! We normally sell by internet or word of mouth and this year we though we were going to be better off taking them to a sale - plus it was a surplus billy year.
    Wingdo - don't know how close you are to Thompson Station, TN, but their sale is every 2 and 4th Friday of the month and they post the results on the internet. If I have to, that's where mine will go this year.

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I made the mistake this year of taking a goat to auction the Friday before 4th of July. :rolleyes: Full Nubian, handsome five month old buck: $20.
    Ouch.
    mary

5. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

People go to auctions to BUY something cheaply. Youre much better off to sell them yourself and cut out the middle men. Im averaging $155 per lamb and many of them dont weigh 100 lbs when I sell them. Ive spent maybe $2 on advertising, which consists of 1 sign that says "Lambs for Sale" that I hang on the fence when I have some ready. Most are sold by "word of mouth" once people start buying and telling their friends where they got them. Im sure markets vary but around here most people with sheep and goats can sell more than they are producing without ever going to an auction

6. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

GoatsRus, could you post the website regarding the Thompson Station auction. I sort of live near there and would like to use the site as a reference....Thanks

7. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

If you aren't dealing in large numbers maybe a more profitable way to selling meat goats would be directly to the consumer.

There are ethnic groups that buy live goats in our state and I'm sure there are other groups all over the US.

In school we sold the live ducks that we raised as part of a duck/fish project directly to the consumer. All it took was an ad in the paper.

8. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Thanks Vancom....John

9. Wingdo

The goats have been one of the easiest critters I've ever cared for. They eat that which a cow would pee on, don't weigh 1500 pounds so I know I can tackle one if need be, have never kicked me in the shins or broken any bones, and are generally very afectionate! In other words, I can't get shed of them all 'cause it would be like giving away one of my youngens, although my youngens aren't near as well mannered sometimes!

I am however down to a full blood buck and doe, and a 1/2 Boer doe, that are all so easy to get along with its a genuine treat just to go sit with them of an evening. I can watch my chickens ride the goats around the upper field and dream of those days when I'd have 6-12 horses to exercise each day. I can also enjoy the goats and chickens fighting off the fox and gray squirrels that somehow know exactly when the evening feeding is going to occur.

Nope... I can't let them all go. It would be to much like giving up on a dream of mine to at least have my animals pay the taxes on the farm, not to mention who would I talk to when the days grow shorter/cooler. For some unexplainable reason, nobody around here (wife, kids, or friends) enjoys going outside when the temparatures get below 30 degrees... my absolute favorite of all weather, albeit kinda lonely sometimes!

I'll never stop trying,
    Wing

10. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky
    Wing, I took 8 goats (dairy) to the auction and had 3 sell for 7.50 a piece - that stinks. I had better luck w/ the others, in the 35-55 range, but still not too good. This is beef county and not too many people are into goats, and dairy animals are not a focus here.

It looks like we will be neighbors. Dh, ds & I will be moving to Elliott County in about 2 yrs. We bought some land and will be putting a house, barns etc. on it between now and then. Dh says Flemmingsburg is about 45 miles from where we will be. Beautiful country, can't wait to get there.

Anne

11. Wingdo

My beloved and I used to take "Sunday" drives (seldom on Sunday but you know what I mean), and still do when my body allows, so I know exactly where Elliot County is. We're right on the transition line, with lots of rolling hills, lovely valleys, and the occasional cliff thrown in just for flavor! I believe most of Elliot is perhaps a little rougher in general, but it would be really nice goat country... provided you can sink a post hole between the rocks. You will have to watch for coyotes though, as the state has decided to increase their populations to help control the deer (which numbers have increased to "road hazard" status).
    We'll be glad to have you folks ma'am! Maybe we can get together some day and compare notes on life in general, or more specifically, a life of being stomped unmercifly by one of my favorite critters of all time, the provebial hay-burner with legs!
    Believe it or not, KY is beef/racehorse/goat country, and I believe we are in the top 5 states in goat production. That's mainly due to some really big goat outfits in the state. Generally speaking, especially when you go to the "real" goat auctions, prime goats are going from $1.50-$1.90 a pound, and decent breeding does are in the $500-$UNL range.
    We are down to 3 Boers right now but expect to jiggle these numbers into the 30's by the end of 2008.
    As for cattle, I can't fight the old cow like I used to, so we'll mainly stick with goats, calves, and chickens being our mainstay, which may take a little more work, but at least I know I put them on the ground if they get too ornery with me!

Wing