Goats are definatly like potato chips :)

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Faithful Heart, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

You can never have just one or two!

Here I just got my little buck a couple weeks ago..... and knew he needed company.... so the plan was to get him a doe of breeding age. Well! That's still the "plan" even though I'm getting my second goat this Thursday, cause that doe will only be a few weeks old.

Now, on top of needing a friend for the buck, the young DOE will need a friend. LOL So now I'm in need of finding the proper goat for her. Here I thought I only needed ONE goat, but instead I'm actually needing TWO MORE goats to go with these two. Oh boy! What fun! :p A couple weeks ago I thought it might still be a LONG time away before I managed to get me some goats. Now by getting the one, it's all sorta snowballing (in a good way), to where I will have a minimum of 4 goats soon.

Of course if we had stuck to only the "plan" then we'd only need only the one. But the deal for getting this young kiko doe is just too good to let go. It's going to be interesting managing it all. We haven't exactly chosen the easiest path. The pasture fence won't be up for 2 more weeks, so I've got to empty out & clean one of my chicken pens to make space for the new little one. But in 3 months I will HAVE to have ALL chicken pens available for chickens to go in.

New "plan":
    - clean out chicken pen for little doe
    - move buck onto pasture in 2 weeks
    - get buck a doe of breeding age
    - move young doe into pen that buck is currently using where she can stay until mid-October
    - seperate out chickens into 3 chicken pens for pure breedings (in two weeks)
    - get another section of pasture fenced by mid-October
    - get young doe a buddy

I'd like to get the doe a buddy when she's 3-4 months old.... a buck that will only be a couple weeks old. If that's possible. Gotta go on the birthing schedules of does ya know. :) But if I did that, then by the time the buck is of breedable age, the doe would be about 8 months old and all would be ok, right? :help: :rolleyes: I gotta find out if the person that's selling the doe to us might have a buck at that time that would work for her (does that are birthing in about 8 weeks). Otherwise the plan will change to getting her a wether friend until she's older and we find the right buck. Might still have to get a wether for her anyway. We'll just have to see. I don't see a real problem with the doe only having ME to entertain her until she's 3-4 months old. It's working fine for my buck. He gets lots of attention, and I can give a doe even MORE attention (brushing & rub downs). Looking forward to it! :dance:

2. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Sounds like you are in for a whole lot of adventures Beth. Best of luck with them. Your headline using Goats & Potato chips reminds me of a humorous incident a few years ago. FIL was having a new hay mower delivered. Long story short we had delivery truck go to a local farm where they kept some large adult goats for brush control( we had to go there to use their large Loader.) The machinery dealer had a shiny new pickup, and left cab door open as he explained features of new mower. I turned around and here was a large wether standing on front seat of his new pickup, with a bag of Ruffle Potato chips over his head, happily munching away. :)
    So Goats are like Potato chips and Goats like Potato chips!

3. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

LOL That is so cute! Bet the guy's more careful next time around. :)