goats are coming...an update

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DayBird, Apr 17, 2005.

1. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

We had decided not to get goats until next year. There are just way too many other obligations to take care of before we need to worry with paying for a fence for them.

Well, a friend who is not nearly as practical as we are purchased 3 goats. They're supposed to be Nigerian Dwarfs. Anyhow, he's bought the goats without having a place to put them. He's paid for and had delivered enough fence panels and T-posts to build a respectable sized yard for the goats. I've erected the pen in my spare time ( :haha: :haha: :haha: ) this week and he's supposed to bring the goats to us tomorrow.

Both does are supposed to be bred by a different buck than the one he bought. He's supposed to be paying for all the feed and wormers. He's paid for the fencing that I get to keep and he's giving me a flock of about 30 Birmingham Roller Pigeons that I'm very envious of. They are coming tomorrow also.

If the goats are in fact Nigerians, we'll keep one of the bucklings. We'll go ahead and try to find a Nubian and have her bred to the older buck. That way her babies will be half Nubian and half Nigerian (aka Mini Nubians). The older Nubians and her doelings will be unrelated to the buck we keep from the friends goats so we'll have a starter herd of Mini Nubians which seem to be exactly what we want.

Monday is my wife's birthday. Sam, our beloved Pyrenese, will be 3 Monday. It's his birthday too. Hopefully the post office will get things right this time and I'll have a starter flock of Orloff chicks arriving early this week. They're supposed to hatch Monday. My wife is very excited about all these critters sharing her birthday.

Didn't Shrek have a thread somewhere quoting that Country Song Why Can't Every Day Be Just This Good?

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Wow! You just don't waste any time at all, do you?

Goaties and pigeons and chicks - Oh my! (sorry, I just couldn't resist)

How fun. :)

3. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

...and tomorrow morning, before church, we're going to the fleamarket to buy bunnies to resell to the petstore and I'm hoping to find some nice blue-pied muscovies and maybe some geese. But, there's an add on PoultryConnection for a guy in North Alabama with Roman tufted goslings for $10 each. Wouldn't they be lovely?
    We have crested ducks already. Maybe some polish bantams just for pets to round out the mix.

4. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

...and the Farmer's Co-op is ordering BBW turkey poults to come in on Thursday but maybe I'll find some blue turkeys at the fleamarket tomorrow.

Have I told you about the plants yet...?

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

And I thought "I" was bad!! :haha: :haha:

6. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

"You" are bad..but that's ok. We ended up only buying a pair of African geese, along with the bunnies to resell. The gander took one look at our place and hopped the fence. I never knew those things could fly. He flew into the woods and I tried to chase him. I should have known that wouldn't work. We tried to lure him back by putting the goose in a cage in the woods. That didn't work either. Hours later, we actually just got back, we had to go to Wal-Mart for some much needed supplies (diapers and icecream.) That silly bird was walking down the road about two miles from the house. Well, who knows, it may not have been the same one. Anyhow, we got out and tried to get him but he ran down the road screaming with wings flapping until he could lift his body off the ground and down the hill into the cow pond he went. It wasn't graceful, but it worked. I guess he deserves to live there. There were some Canada geese on the field so he should be happy.

I bought a net while I was at WM and will cut the goose's feathers in the morning. The guy we bought them from doesn't live very far away so I'll stop by soon and pick up another pair and that'll give us a trio.

The "friend" went to pick up the goats this morning. While he was there he also bought a pair of chocolate muscovies and a pair of blue muscovies along with a flock of Black Giants, a rooster and six hens. Yep, they're here too.

7. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

:haha: :haha: :haha:

I *think* you forgot one of the most important pieces of advice that frequently gets passed out here on this forum, LOL! Only get one kind of animal at a time, and have everything ready for them BEFORE you get them!! :bash: :haha:

Oh, well, before long you'll be able to pass that advice out yourself! ;)

Kathleen

(They *are* fun, though, aren't they?)

8. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

now isn't that the truth. I have a mini nubian, ready t okid right now. I also have a pygmy buck, that won't stay in at all. he is in the garage right now. We will be fixing him something tomorrow. He is quite the little man, keeps trying to get in with my big nubian gals, they just laugh at him ,I told him, no kinder goats, so stop that. he is someting eles. I think I am going to have to buld a stockaid for the little guy. And he is fast too. really fast. like grease lightening.

9. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Oh! That's what I keep messing up! I always have various things follow me home and then have to figure out a safe place to put them.

It must be much easier to do it the other way around. I'll have to try that sometime. :p

10. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I actually did have every thing ready, even for the unexpected. I just didn't count on a domestic goose being able to fly. We used to have some African geese and they never became airborne. I guess they never had a good reason.

Hank, the friend with the goats, paid for and had delivered enough stock panels to fence in most of our "backyard" for the goats, a space about 40 by 80 grown up with poplar seedlings, blackberries and honeysuckle. I "thought" I could put the geese in with the goats. Everything was ready for them. I had built a little hoop house out of an extra stock panel, just like the instructions/inspirations gathered from HT. I had wheat straw on the floor of their little shelter to sleep in and nest in. I had a wading pool in there for the geese and one of those really cool watering buckets that has the float in it to keep it full for the goats. Everything was ready, I even had four lawn chairs, a cooler full of MtDews and the stack of library goat books near their fence so we could spend the afternoon observing. I just didn't expect that gander to hop the fence.

I was expecting a flock of roller pigeons, but he's bringing those on Thursday. Instead, I got a fock of black giant chickens and two pairs of muscovies. My little bird barn has one big pen, about 20X20 and four smaller brood pens off one side, each about 5X10. I had my little colored Easter chicks in one and the fantail pigeons in the other and the two empty ones were left open for my chickens to go in and out. I moved the Easter chicks in with the pigeons, plopped the Giants down into their pen until they realize this is home and the two pairs of muscovies each got their own pen. They all seem very happy.

The goats are still in their pen this morning and all of the birds are still alive. The goose is in with the blue muscovies. They were all three still asleep together when I woke up at 5:30 to go check on them.

11. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Well, why don't you just wade right in with no preliminaries! I envy you those
    critters, but even more, I envy you your energy!

12. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

funny that mimics exactly my first experience with geese too, my then hubby thought oh i can let them out, they wont go nowhere, as i watched them quite quickly escape from the back of the truck and wing outover the clearing and up the road i was so mad.... we tried to catch them several times, they eneded up at the neighbors, he kept feeding them see... so a couple months later when he asked me if we were gonna try to catch them again i said, sure, with a 22
    he said no his wife liked them , and paid me 20.00 for them , im like, ummmm...ok and with a wink , you want me to deliver them :D he laughed, and that was my last exp with geese.
    Beth

13. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Oh what fun on the farm. I have found that with geese it is best to raise babies as they will adopt you as their mom or dad. Or if you must get adults, add them to an existing flock, then they tend to stay. I am gooseless right now. I am in pursuit of "Buff Geese" as they are supposed to be a quieter gentler goose. No more Africans or Chinese geese for me. And Tolouse and Emdens are too common for my taste. Is there anyone in central Texas with Buff geese? Or Muscovy ducks of unusual color? I like quiet ducks too, non-quackers! I have one geriatric white Muscovy drake who is about 7 years old and needs companioship, poor fellow. Perhaps I'm getting old too, I've even quit raising Nubian goats in favour of quieter LaManchas! Maybe it's cause I had so many human kids LOL!