Goats and rain?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by victorialeetoo, Jan 14, 2013.

1. victorialeetoo

victorialeetoo Active Member

So, I have read a lot of posts and articles about goats and rain, and how they dont like being wet. I wish someone would tell my goats. Every time it rains I see them outside playing. Does anyone elses goats do this? Can they get sick from doing this? Thanks for replys

2. Blue Run Farm

Blue Run Farm Well-Known Member Supporter

My goats will stand out in the rain as long as it isn't too cold or raining too hard. They are pretty good about going in if it is bad, and I haven't had any get sick from it. Sometimes if it is raining and they are in the shelter, they will come out and demand food if they hear me out there, lol. I think they just like to make us worry!

3. dozedotz

dozedotz Well-Known Member

We had a Pygmy buck who would stand on his little stump looking lordly come rain, come shine! It never seemed to bother him. Our Nubians do not like to get wet. At the first sprinkle they begin to move with determination toward shelter. A couple of years ago we listened and believed (very stupid) a weather forecast that indicated 0 rain chances. Three of our goats plus an LGD were outside without shelter due to our stupidity. They were under a tree when we came racing home. Soaking wet does not begin to describe it! It was warm weather and that is probably why no one got sick. I would NEVER under any circumstances want to repeat that little event. They were pathetic and I was the one who was sick!

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Our hay feeder is outside. All the goats can be seen out at the hay feeder unless it's downpouring or if they're full, or if they're grazing.

You can coddle goats all you want - if the hay is in the barn, why would they go out in the rain?

No, they will not get sick if out in the rain. If they ARE sick, being out in the rain and getting chilled probably wouldn't help their situation - but simply being out in it is not going to hurt them under good management and health conditions. :)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Mine not only go out in the rain to graze, they will walk thru rushing water to get to the "better" weeds.

6. Crazy Farmgirl

Crazy Farmgirl Well-Known Member

My hay feeders are outside and they all can be seen out there munching in the rain. If it is pouring for long periods or very cold I feel bad for them and go put hay in the barn for them. Never had an illness form it. In winter many times they will curl up out in the snow and they will stay there snow will accumulate on them and they don't care, they have plenty of barn to use but they choose not to.

7. jd4020

jd4020 Well-Known Member Supporter

I've had Alpine & LaMancha over the years and none of them have ever liked getting wet. Whether the hay was inside or out, they all head inside as soon as it starts raining. Guess it just depends on the individual. :)
    God bless, jd

8. boerboy

boerboy Beginner Part-time Farmer

Ours don't care about rain. When it is very windy/cold they stay inside.

They shock me by getting out in cold morning and eating the grass with all the frost on the grass still hard... I get so worried.
    Is it normal, is it ok?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  9. victorialeetoo

Thanks all, now I can stop worrying. Since I am new to goats there is so much I need to learn. One thing is to stop reading the posts about problems with kidding. Today I made myself sick with worry after reading one. I have 2 mini Manchas and a FF Nubian due May. I wasnt this nervous when I was pregnant.

CaliannG and boerboy like this.
  10. GoatJunkie

GoatJunkie LaMancha <3

*laffin* Me neither! I don't remember planning as much when I was having my babies either!

11. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Realize that most kiddings are perfectly boring and most feel little/no need to post anything significant or memorable about them.

The only reason there seems to be kidding problems is because those are the situations people need help with thus they post them.

Come kidding season maybe I'll post stories about every boring kidding I have, just to offset the influx of kidding problems people post about.

Kidding problems are not common. IF they are, cull. :)

ShadowfaxFarm likes this.
  12. victorialeetoo

Thanks Dona, This is a great place for support, and if I was having trouble I would post for help and advice to. I think once I get through the first time I will feel more confident. Its not like I haven't help deliver anything before.