goats and dog food

Discussion in 'Goats' started by longhorngal, Oct 20, 2006.

1. longhorngal

longhorngal Well-Known Member Supporter

I just got back from vacation and my MIL was watching kids and animals for me. Come to find out my Saanen doe that I milk has been eating the dry dog food pretty much daily since I left. I KNOW I told her not to let her get in any of it :nono: . But I guess she forgot, she kind of had her hands full so I didn't say anything about it when I found out.
    BUT now I need to know do I need to be concerned about anything? It was Diamond brand dog food and I'm pretty sure I've read that goats should never get into dog food b/c of the animal byproducts in it.
    Any advice?

Thanks
    Cara

2. TC

TC Well-Known Member

I know you are not suppose to feed it to them, but my goats love it! All of them! I have never ever purposely gave it to them, but sometimes if we had happened to leave a bag out while feeding all the animals, or the dogs are eating before we let the goats back in to their pasture and barn at night, they raid it. I've seen 30 goats wipe out 50 pound bags before you can get them all away. I haven't ever had one get sick from it, but try not to let them get to it.

I wouldn't worry, just hide the dog food, because now she has a taste of it, watch out! :)

3. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

I think the only thing you can do is make sure she doesn't eat anymore of it. The reason for not feeding ruminants feed with animal products in it is because it is suspected that is one way Mad Cow disease is passed on.

Goats and sheep get scrapie which is a prion disease. And it is presumed to result from ingestion of animal by-products contaminated with sheep scrapie.

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

My sheep love dog food and my Maremmas and Coonhound all like sheep feed. I feed them all seperately now to avoid conflicts since my 150 lb Maremma, Bigfoot, is VERY possessive over his food

5. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Interesting! Have you checked the ingredients in the dog food? If it lists corn first, that might be why. :shrug: My goats all sniff the barn cats' kibble but have never been interested in actually eating it. Now, one of the barn kittens has decided he likes goat feed, particularly the Calf Manna!

Years ago, I knew someone who was raising an orphan lamb - it was convinced it was a cat and would eat salmon from a tin. :rolleyes:

6. longhorngal

longhorngal Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks all, I don't still have the bag so don't know if it's a lot of corn or not. She is also VERY bad about taking a dive at the gamebird feed I give my guineas. She was starved before I got her so I think she's going to make sure it doesn't happen again! My pygmys don't go after the different pet foods like she does.

Cara