Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read several threads here talking about dangers of cats and of them having litters near dairy goats that are bred...I am wondering what is the concern? I have recently brought home my Nubians and I also have cats on the farm here and would like to avoid any problems... Thanks

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
Toxoplasmosis is a disease that causes abortions, weak kids, stillbirths, birth defects, and mummification of fetuses in pregnant does. Cats are the carriers of this protozoan known as Toxoplasma gondii. Cats, especially kittens under six months of age, pass the oocysts in their feces when they eat infected rodents, raw meat, or placentas of toxoplasmosis-infected animals.
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/toxoplasmosis.html

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
You will have very little problem with heatlhy adult cats. The problems come from strays, cat populations out of control where kittens are pooping in the barn and on the hay. I have always had 'a' spayed barn cat, and never had toxo. All toxo outbreaks I have helped with came from a litter of kittens born in the barn right before breeding season, like most chlamydia abortions, the farm had pinkeye right before breeding season. It is the first questions you ask with abortions in the herd. Vicki

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Spay your cats. That way you are avoiding both toxoplasmosis in your goats and contributing to cat overpopulation.

·
Registered
174 Posts
This is the same disease as humans can get, dangerous to pregnant women the most.

I have cats, have always had cats, and litterboxes. The danger was being pregnant and scooping litter. I asked my maternity Doctor when I was newly preggers with my first baby. She told me that a healthy cat wasn't a problem, and since I have always had cats, chances were I already have immunity to the disease. The Main Concern would be if you got pregnant then decided to get your first cat.

I would wonder if it is the same for goats. If the mom's had been exposed to cats in the barn before getting bred, they would be okay??... Personally, all my cats are "fixed" as I hear of way to many people drowning farm kittens and I don't want to contribute.

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
If it is only an issue with pregnant/delivering mommas, why do they tell human women not to change the litterbox while pregnant no matter what sex or alteration status of the cat(s)?
There's some risk with ALL cats, but younger ones carry and pass more ococysts.
Direct contact with feces is the easiest way to get tehm

·
Thinking up a great tag
696 Posts
lol- this kinda cracks me up. I have cat-hating goats. My old gal actually ran after and butted my cat (as the cat was already running away.) Hard to imagine goats tolerating cats after my experience, but I know they usually do (I think.. lol.)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
lol- this kinda cracks me up. I have cat-hating goats. My old gal actually ran after and butted my cat (as the cat was already running away.) Hard to imagine goats tolerating cats after my experience, but I know they usually do (I think.. lol.)
One of mine hated cats till she realized it would be a daily occurrence then she lightened up and was okay with it but it took her months to get over it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts