Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So of course I am paranoid. It's below zero with wind chill warnings. Everyone is tucked in with tons of hay and bedding..warm water. I made the horses stay in to bring heat into the barn. It's 12 degrees in there. I just went out for what I thought to be the final check before going to bed early and reading a book. WELL, Frankie and Flossie are really acting weird. They are either fighting/playing or mating. Frankie IS a wether. He is making the strangest noises at Flossie...like a cry, groan kinda noise. Not the regular baaaaa. He is standing on the spool hitting her head with his foot. head butting her. humping her and making this noise. She is running around wagging her tail. Gretta (mama) is in the hut munching on hay.
So now I'm paranoid that he won't let her go in the hut and she will be cold. The spool that he is jumping on is the stepping stone to hop up into the hut. Am I being over protective? Over reactive? Are they just messing with me?
So much for getting to bed early. :(

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you guys ever heard them make that noise before? And why the heck aren't they in bed sleeping like they are supposed to be!

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
It sounds like the mating noises a buck makes. Sounds like the doe may be in season. Are you sure he's wethered completely? (not cryptorchid)

·
Student of goatology.
3,132 Posts
Both my wethers do that when does are in heat. Some wethers make great teasers. Even some does do that.
If he gets too obnoxious, section off a small area in their quarters for a couple days. I think they get built-up energy from staying inside sometimes.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
It sounds like your doe is in heat. I wouldn't worry about the wether not letting her in the goat house. Your goats are just acting like goats and will settle down when thwy get tired. The exercise is actually good for them. They stay warmer when they are active.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Minelson you are too cute!! Flossie is a big girl now and has gone into heat. Whoever is dominant in the herd will act like a buck and will do "buckie" things. That noise makes me crack up everytime I hear it. My neighbors once thought I was torturing my animals because my bucks make that noise almost all the time during rutting season(which is almost all year with ND's). It's not the "normal" buck sound, I know, but it isn't abnormal either. And quite funny actually. Your little girl is growing up. And yes, she will get sick of the antics of her brother and will put him in his place when she is good and ready. Believe me!!!! She will only put up with soooo much and then he will be sorry.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good news! This morning they were all snuggled up together in the hut. They really wanted me to serve them breakfast in bed...but then they got up. Gretta went right for her breakfast (alfalfa) and Frankie and Flossie started right back at it just like last night. I'm glad hubby was with me to witness it because he really thought I was crazy last night. Frankie is a riot. He makes that noise and flirts with her and his tongue sticks out...just a little...enough to make him look insane. Flossie is most definitely in heat.
I am relieved to hear that others have wethers who pretend to be bucks. Thanks! :)

·
My kids have hooves
2,227 Posts
LOL! I'd love to see a video of this. Time for Frankie to be on YouTube:)

At some point Flossie, like sensible girls everywhere, will give him the "oh, puhlease" look and put him in his place. Funny boy:)

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
It is pretty funny to witness. If Frankie wasn't completely wethered you'd probly already have 1 of your girls pregnant by now so I wouldn't worry about that. Thank Goodness the girls heat cycle(at least for mine) only last about 3 days. A couple of mine our sooooo noisy that I'm sure the neighbors are trying to figure out whats going on over here. I'm really surprised you have never noticed this behavior before? How old are Frankie & Flossie now?

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is pretty funny to witness. If Frankie wasn't completely wethered you'd probly already have 1 of your girls pregnant by now so I wouldn't worry about that. Thank Goodness the girls heat cycle(at least for mine) only last about 3 days. A couple of mine our sooooo noisy that I'm sure the neighbors are trying to figure out whats going on over here. I'm really surprised you have never noticed this behavior before? How old are Frankie & Flossie now?
Their birthday is this Friday! They will be one year old :banana02:

Nope..I noticed Flossie in heat before...but never Frankie acting like this.

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
I'm sure that's all it is. My wether never acts like that, but I also have a Buck here.
They are pretty funny to watch. The 1st time DH & I every witnessed all the goings on, we actually stopped cleaning to watch it was so comical.
Hopefully mine are all bred now so I won't have to hear them for months now!

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 1st time DH & I every witnessed all the goings on, we actually stopped cleaning to watch it was so comical.
That's how it was for us this morning...even though it was -5, we kept stopping to watch them...quite entertaining!:icecream:

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Your doe is in heat and your wether forgot his testicles were removed, such as wethers tend to do! Now you know the mating rituals of goats and just consider this "safe goat sex"!

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your doe is in heat and your wether forgot his testicles were removed, such as wethers tend to do! Now you know the mating rituals of goats and just consider this "safe goat sex"!
Well, at least it's safe lol! I guess maybe we shouldn't be watching them:eek: AND they are brother and sister...eee-gads! :eek::eek:

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
I had two wethers last year, twin brothers, who spent most of their time trying to mate with each other. They don't much care. :) They've just got this vestigal urge and no way to satisfy it. Wethering animals doesn't seem to be very natural. It interrupts too much of their natural behavior.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts