Goats aborting

Discussion in 'Goats' started by steff bugielski, Feb 2, 2005.

1. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I have 26 pregnant females. So far two of them have aborted with out reason 6 wks early. Both had two babies, hairless, hoofless and no eyes. Any thoughts on why. No change in diet, and anything that may have changed would have affected all of them.
    steff

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

very sorry for you. :waa: i think it could always happen with one goat. but two goat in a row sounds really bad to me. reasons could be infections, wrong wormer, wrong antibiotics.
    also a very good source to get help is the dairy goat forum

http://dairygoatsplus.com/forum/index.php

susanne

3. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

Hi, I had this problem too! My doe was about 2-3 weeks from her due date. Check out the responses I received. It is on the second page, look under Just Feelin' Sad, posted by burfer. Many said it could be claymidia(sorry I can't spell!)

4. geminigoats

geminigoats Well-Known Member

Oh nooooo how tragic, I am so sorry you had to experience that! Its never easy. I expereinced some does a few yrs ago when we had the dairy that did this, they were older does, brought in from another herd and ended up with menginal worm. Very tragic! I know some of the dairies near us have experienced this problem and Chalymidia (sp?) was the culprit. If you can definately call a vet in to check. And definately check out those other responses too that were mentioned here.

Bernice