Goatmilk taste and sweetfeeds

Discussion in 'Goats' started by farmgirlmama, Jul 15, 2006.

1. farmgirlmama

farmgirlmama Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Still more goat questions!!! Someone told me that if you feed your dairy goat enough molasses and sweetfeeds that the milk will taste like cow milk....I want to like goat milk so badly but it has this sour taste that I don't like (I have only had pasturized commercial goat milk though)....so is it true about the sweetfeeds?

And if so, how much should they get?

Thank you!
    Jennifer

2. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

Don't know if that is true, but we feed ours a 16% horse feed. There are no by-products and everything is listed. Goats are like cows in the fact that "what goes in comes out". I milk 10-15 goats daily depending on the time of year and have not had a problem with taste. Have even converted some "cow only" people over to goats milk. As to the amount, I was always told that for every pound of grain you should get 3 pounds of milk. Hope this helps.

jr05

3. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

For one drink the fresh stuff. The store bought goats milk is horrible to me but milk one out at home and man it is so close to cows milk but sweeter.

4. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Fresh is sweet. It's the storebought stuff that is goaty.

5. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

We feed 12% sweet feed, steam rolled corn, and alfalfa pellets. Before I started feeding this mix we didn't like the taste, it had sort of an after taste. Now I have had people who drank raw milk and store bought milk that didn't like it but they like ours. It is sweeter than cows milk.

6. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I have purchased pasteurized Meyerberg milk at the grocery store and dumped it down the drain. (Insert spewing emoticon here)

Everything influences the taste of milk: mastitis, climate, barn management, buck nearby, water, feed, raw vs. pasteurized, temperature of milk, milk handling, etc etc etc. And, probably the most important, the individual goat herself may not produce good tasting milk no matter what you do.

For many, many years we bought a sweet feed because it was convenient and that's what everyone else fed. About 3 years ago we switched to a 16% pellet with added whole oats, BOSS and a little soybean, and I noticed a better tasting milk and their breath was better too. They also consumed less bicarb. We have 2 Oberhasli does on the National 2005 Top Ten listing for milk production, so this new feed has obviously not hindered their production.

Question for you - why do you want your goat milk to taste like cow milk?

7. farmgirlmama

farmgirlmama Well-Known Member

I guess I was afraid that all goat milk tasted like Meyenberg!

8. gryndlgoat

gryndlgoat Well-Known Member

Fresh goat milk compared to Meyerberg is like comparing peas from a fresh picked pea pod in your garden to canned peas. Yes, canned peas are edible and nutritious, but YUCK.

9. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

You have to really dig to find a good sweet feed. Most sweet feeds, are using the molassas to coverup very poor quality products. Molassas makes a goats rumen acidic, makes her work harder, and a doe in even light acidosis is metobolically stressed, which hurts her milk amount, the milk quality and her health. A doe eating sticky sweet feed actually eats more grain than a doe who is eating just good whole oats...and if the sweet feed is part of a byproducts feed tag, than even with twice the amount of feed, she is getting less nutritiion than with oats only.

Do some work when you do get your goats to milk. Goat milk from a healthy goat getting a diet that works for her rumen, and not against it, and the milk is sweet and rich and has excellent keeping quality. Just like I wouldn't want to go out and milk a nasty cow living in horrible conditions, I would not want to milk a goat in the same condition either. And not too sure how many commercial dairies (both goat and cow) you have been to, but as nasty as most of the stock is kept (remember liscenses are given for the milk handling facility only, not the animals or their area!!!!!!!!! you wouldn't want to drink the milk from those animals....pasteurized, canned or made into cheese! Visiting a commercial dairy, a meat packing plant (wow especially chicken) or a feed lot will have you growning and milking your own meat and milk and eggs :) Vicki

10. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Howdy there Vicki!

I do not use any sweet feed at all, ever, and my goats' milk is great tasting. In fact, my neighbor who has her own milkgoats, uses MY milk, dumps her milk and wonders why HER milk tastes bad....she insists on sweet feed despite my advice that perhaps that is why her milk tastes "off" compared to mine. Her management is just about identicle to mine except for the feed. She even has my stock, all her goats came from my place. I have seen her pens, they are clean and she handles her milk appropriately. But she complains of an aftertaste. She knows what I feed but still doesn't switch over, stuck on her feed choice and continues to dump her milk to the dogs.

11. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Ok......I agree with Vicki about "most" commercial dairies not keeping their stock in good conditions, but I must speak up and say that some do and they do their best for their stock. I've milked at many commercial dairies where the cows were clean and healthy and well-cared for. And as I just started milking commercially this spring.....I like to think that my "commercial" dairy goat herd is well cared for and happy too!! :)

12. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

This might be a thread drift but...What about Purina Goat? It has molassas in it but isn't sticky gooey icky like the "other" goat feed. And I've always trusted them. I get good milk from my 2 little girls but I also don't want to cause problems down the road. I'm feeding alfalfa pellets, goat chow (1:1), blk oil sunflower seeds, and calf manna (couple of ounces per goat of each).

13. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Seriously? My goats won't hardly touch anything Purina. :eek: The mineral is poor, and the goat chow is so-so in their opinion. It is still quite the sweet feed and the contents seem to vary greatly from bag to bag by what I can see with the naked eye(grains ratio and molasses level, etc.). Not to mention the price here!! One 50 lb bag is gonna cost me right under $10.00......So I feed straight grains(after discussing it with Vicki and others), and have been extremely pleased with their condition. I was hoping I could buy dry COB but nobody in this area even knew what I was talking about, so I mix my own. I like the Nutrena products slightly better than Purina...if you can get them in your area.