Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a thin sannen. 4 years old, she had twins on her. Owner had vet out. Said she was wormy (took a sample) but otherwise healthy. Her just weaned twins were fat as ticks. Owner has been milking once a day since weaning and getting about a quart. The vet wormed her 5 days ago with (I believe) Albendazole.

My first question is about milk withdrawal. When can I drink the milk.

The second question is in regard to horse wormer. Of course the label says to only use on horses. the wormer is Ivermectin and praziquantel. Paste.

Can I use this on goats and again what about withdrawal?

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Alice, very useful list.

·
Kathy
880 Posts
I dont wait as it dont have enough in it to tell. Never had any problems form any wormers, but usually when I worm my goats I either get wormed with a needle or they get it in my mouth somehow...I am current on my wormer just like my girls...haha

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
real timely thread for me too, as since I now only have a few goats, and my jug of cydectin was super old, I am going to use quest. that list said 1cc per 100# the horse tubes show in pounds of horse--how do I know how much is a cc in that tube?

boy, this 'less is more' thing is niiiice. instead of a jug of wormer, I can get A tube!! wow!

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont wait as it dont have enough in it to tell. Never had any problems form any wormers, but usually when I worm my goats I either get wormed with a needle or they get it in my mouth somehow...I am current on my wormer just like my girls...haha
I once injected myself with Lepto vaccine. Worried, I called the vet. He told me I was guaranteed not to slough a calf.............................

Reactions: chewie and mrs.H

·
Kathy
880 Posts
haha! Just dont get yourself with Lutelys...it will rock your world...and some antibiotics is like a fire you cant put out.
I know when my boys were little and played outside alot, they got tapeworms from the dirt and the Doc gave them wormer meds and basically told me this is just like the other wormers. I know with some medications taken on a daily basis it might cause some problems but all I have seen is maybe the trots. But that was only when I stuck myself or got it direct from the tube.

·
Registered
954 Posts
For the quest - I squirt it all out of the tube onto a paper plate. Mix with a popsicle stick, put into a 12cc syringe, then dose with that. Some people have reported that the tubes are not mixed well b/c a horse will use most of a tube? Figured I wouldn't take any chances.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
For the quest - I squirt it all out of the tube onto a paper plate. Mix with a popsicle stick, put into a 12cc syringe, then dose with that. Some people have reported that the tubes are not mixed well b/c a horse will use most of a tube? Figured I wouldn't take any chances.
that does make sense, and if it sits for any time, stuff like that does separate pretty easily. I think that's a good tip, thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
real timely thread for me too, as since I now only have a few goats, and my jug of cydectin was super old, I am going to use quest. that list said 1cc per 100# the horse tubes show in pounds of horse--how do I know how much is a cc in that tube?

boy, this 'less is more' thing is niiiice. instead of a jug of wormer, I can get A tube!! wow!
There are 3 arrows on the dial. I marked my arrows in black and figured it to be one arrow per 40 pounds (one complete turn for 120 pounds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts