Goat won't eat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by steff bugielski, Apr 27, 2005.

1. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I have a doe who had a very bad case of worms. Just before delivering I wormed her. She did not seem to improve but rather got worse. The stress of delivering and producing milk to a great toll. She lost a tremendeous amount of weight. I thought we would lose her. She was given an additional dose of Panacure as prescribed by the vet. She is eating some hay but not putting on any weight. She has since dried up leaving me to feed her 2 week old girls. She seems to want to eat only chicken food. Is this ok. I have tried sweet feed mixed into her pellets, Handfuls of whole oats, corns, even lettuce and carrots, apples, figa ,raisins. Nothing. She takes one mouthful and walks away pining for the chicken food.
    Help
    steff

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

what is in the chicken food? if she doesn't want to eat her grain it sounds like hyppocalcemia to me. here is an artical from sue reith about that. http://dairygoatsplus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30
    susanne

3. NRS Farm

NRS Farm Well-Known Member

I wonder if her Calcium to Phosphorous ratio is off. I would try getting some calcium into her. Grains contain phosphorous. The chicken feed might contain calcium that she is craving. If she were mine, I would offer either alfalfa hay or admininster some CMPK or maybe just some tums or a similar calcium substitute.

4. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

And get some Probios into her ASAP. Any time you deworm or use antibiotics, have any kind of eating problems, give a dose or two each day, minimum, of probiotics to replace that bacteria and give the rumen and good jump-start. That's generally the first place I start.

I would also go ahead and give her the second dose of Panacur, even though you typically wait three weeks...

Have you checked with your vet for advice yet? Double check your ratios in the feed that you have, get some Probios into her ASAP and consider a second dose of the de-wormer...

Good luck. And good luck feeding the two bouncing girls, too!

-Sarah