Goat won't eat/about to kid?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by quinn, Feb 7, 2004.

1. quinn

quinn Member

Hi everyone,

I have a goat who is about to kid, like, at least within the next 2 weeks. She refused her grain tonight. Last night, she didn't eat as much either. Her udder is pretty large, but there is no discharge. She did eat her alphalpha. I've read where, if the doe misses two meals of concentrate in a row, to start giving her propylene glycol twice a day until she kids. How do I know for sure if she has pregnancy toxemia? She isn't weak AT ALL, but if this stuff is just setting in, maybe she will be that way tomorrow when I go out to the barn. Any adivce?

Angela

2. Offer her something from the human table....cooked oatmeal with molasses always works for me...sugared cereal....bread.

Sounds like she is close to kidding. Cookies, Raisins something to keep blood sugar up!

3. NRS Farm

NRS Farm Well-Known Member

As I undestand it...the ketosis is caused by not getting enough Calcium. The goat backs off the grain because she is trying to increase her Calcium to Phosphorous ratio. The grain normally is higher in Phosphorous. She needs a 2:1 ratio of Ca to P. The Alfalfa is high in Calcium. So she is eating the hay for the calcium but refusing or backing off from the grain to lower the Phosphorous. But that also lowers her sugar or energy levels. Supplementing her with a sugar source will bring back the energy level but will not help on the calcium level. She therefore needs...in my opinion, some calcium along with the sugar. Is she getting any mineral mix (preferably 2:1 Calcium)? How much alfalfa hay is she getting? One source of calcium would be tums or something similar. IF she were mine I would give the sugar (however you wish to give it...cookies...nutridrench...gycol...etc.) but be sure she is getting calcium as well. Here is a reference link that I go by:

http://www.saanendoah.com/ketosis.html

Then check out:

http://www.saanendoah.com/hypoca.html

4. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Have you tried a bit of baking soda? When mine do that, I offer a handfull of baking soda and then extra water (maybe with molassis in it) and then they get back to normal. I agree to, that i would try some oats or raisen or treats.

5. quinn

quinn Member

Thanks everyone for the hasty response,

I give rosie a flake in the morning and one at night as well. My vet came out on the 22 of December and when she did, she said my hay looked great. It's really green and leafy.

I sure will give her the sweets to perk her up.

I'll keep you all posted!

Angela

6. quinn

quinn Member

Hi all,

I can happily report back to you this morning. Last night, I left rosie's grain in her keyhole feeder, so she could eat it while we were out. So, when I went to take care of the animals this morning, all the grain was gone! I suppose she was just being fussy?

Anyway, thanks for the wonderful help.

Angela

7. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Glad your doe is feeding better. I would like to second the suggestion of keeping some baking soda in front of her. It does wonders for a sour rumen (a key reason for them to go off feed) and they only use it when they need it and they seem to know when.