Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my 8 yr old wethers has a strange problem. Last week his left front foot got really sore. He wouldn't put any weight on it, and limped around. I gave him a few doses of ibuprofen and he got over it. Now this week his other front foot is doing the same thing. So far nothing has helped. I see no swelling in the joints, nothing wrong with the toes. We've had a lot of wet weather lately and the goats have had to deal with mud in their pen a lot. Other than that I can't think of anything that may have caused this. His hooves are well pedicured, no sign of rot. I haven't found anything in the pen that may have injured him. This guy is a big, strong, 200 lb packgoat and is normally tough as a truck. But this has me worried. ????

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They eat all kinds of stuff. Grass hay, alfalfa, and wild browse. I've been reading about "founder", or laminitis. That sure sounds like a possibility. Have you had experience with this?

One thing I've read is that alfalfa may contribute to founder due to its high protein content. Any opinions on that?

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,180 Posts
Yes, high protein will cause founder. I had a Saanen cross who did NOT benefit from large amounts of alfalfa in her diet.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your help. I'm taking him off alfalfa. Hopefully he will get over this and be back to his normal self soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts