Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a doeling around 4 months old who has cloudy white snot coming out of her nose periodically, no temperature to speak off, off feed, and has white eyelids/gums. I have given her probios and dewormed with ivermectin. She doesn't seem to have diaherria. Maybe a little today but that could be from the deworming. She just seems really down. She is drinking but not eating much. I have ordered Di-methox to treat for coccidiosis. My vet friend suggested the deworming and the coccidiosis treatment. Is there anything I can give her to boost her immune system? I have some Vitamin B complex injectable. I am also going to make up water with revitalyte plus in it. Thanks, Erin

·
Namaste
1,528 Posts
Since no-one else has had a chance to answer your post, I'll wade in here. First and foremost in my mind is dealing with the anemia since you have already dewormed. Give her the B complex SQ since she'll get very little benefit from it orally - vet perscribed dosage for my goat was .5 ml/25 but you might want to verify that, frankly I'd double that at first given my latest experience. Also get injectable iron for a big boost, then you can start a maintance of Red Cell. Figure this is going to be a long term situation to really get her RBC up. You may want to take a fecal sample into your vet to make sure the Ivermectin did it's job and that you aren't dealing with liver fluke. Whilst there perhaps she/he could pull some blood to determine how anemic she is. Anemia causes pain, she should be isolated so that she doesn't experience any internal injuries caused from being banged around. I think anemia must be taken very seriously and fixed pronto. Hope this helps.

PS. Many antibiootics are contraindicated for anemia, since she isn't showing a fever, I'd not treat the snotty nose with anything, especially Pen.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello, I have been giving the doe a vitamin B shot (2 days now). My vet friend didn't want me to do the red cell because of copper toxicity. The doe still isn't eating. I don't have a local vet yet who does work on goats. If I could get her to eat I would feel a lot better. Any suggestions? Thanks, Erin

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I don't understand the red-cell/copper toxicity comment. Red cell is an iron supplement? I have never heard a real story of a goat getting a copper OD.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Yes, antibiotics SQ. Pick one. I like to use LA200 or a knockoff (there are many in the tetracyclin family).

The snot and temprement would indicate to me a pneumonial or other infection, not a worm thing.

When you could drench with Sulmet, Di-methox or other sulfa drug, you'll get your antibiotic that way. But sometimes it takes something more.

This is a good place to point out that sick goats can go anemic for MANY reasons, not just worms. It may be she had some, and that dragged her down til she got infected. But I have seen other anemia causes, right up to and including cancer.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,869 Posts
We give Red Cell to our milker every day.

Did you ask about the effectiveness of Ivermectin on worms in your area? I have a sneaking suspicion she's still wormy.

Did you have a fecal sample checked?

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Everybody does things differently on their farms, but if mine, i would worm with cydectin and valbazen both. And worm again in 10 days. If she had symptoms of cocci i would give her a course of DiMethox for 5 days. I would "think" about treating the respiratory symptoms but not necessarily do it, i would see what other sypmtoms she had...continued nasal discharge, color and consistency, cough or not, is it a passing thing or a real problem. I hate using antibiotics if they are not needed, but if needed they are a lifesaver. I would also give BoSe to pump up the immune system. I would mostly be concerned that she is off feed...not good in a goat.

·
Registered
641 Posts
If I had to guess and going by my own exeriences, I'd say she could have lung worm. Lung worm is difficult to figure out before it kills your goats and you get a necropsy done. Our goats get dewormed with Ivermectin and it controls most worms just fine. However, we found that it is possible to assume that your dewormer is taking care of things and it might not be getting all kings of worms. The thing about lungworm is that it causes parasitic pneumonia. That would cause the snotty nose. I lost a few kids that were just a bit older than yours. They had all the same symptoms. They had whipworm, lungworm and pneumonia. I treated with Equine panacur, once a day for 3 days, double the horse dose for a goat. I had a couple of other goats that were sick but not as far gone and I was able to save them with this treatment. Contrary to popular belief, anemia is not just cause by stomach worms and lice. It is also cause by infection (run a search on "anemia in goats"). If you have kept up with a deworming routine, then I would take a fecal sample to the vet, just to be sure. They probably won't catch lungworm on it but you'll know about the other worms. Then, I'd take a temp. and see about pneumonia. You might want to do some searching about pneumonia and see if there has to be a fever present. I'm not sure that there does have to be. Maybe someone else on here would know. Anyway, if indicated, you would probably want to do a course of antibiotics and maybe something stronger than what you have on hand. I'd do the Panacur. For sure, keep up with the Red Cell 2x/day. This will have to be continued for quite a while unfortunately. This is what worked for us. I sure hope you can get it figured out. Good luck and God bless.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am fairly new to the whole goat scene. I decided to take the doe to the vet and they put her on IV, gave her something for a fever, and put her on antibiotics as well. Hopefully this will help her energy and wanting to eat. Thanks for all of your help and I just reached the end of my knowledge and needed to bring in the cavalary :hobbyhors . Erin

·
Registered
455 Posts
Banamine seems to help stimulate appetite because it relieves pain and inflammation, and reduces temp, and in general just makes them feel better. It's a prescription medicine.

We've had 3 goats so far that got sick and wouldn't eat---one fractured joint, 2 with high fever. 15 mins or so after Banamine, they started eating normally. Of course when it wears off the whole thing may start all over again unless you can treat the original cause. But just getting them to eat helps in recovery a lot I think for most illnesses.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I would probably give 5 cc's 2x/day. I've never been given an exact way to figure it since it isn't for goats and the vet won't recommend it for this reason. I was giving 3 cc's 2x/day but feel I could have been giving more. Here is an article of lungworm that you might want to read.

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/lungworms.html

I want to remind you that Ivermectin did not work for our lungworms so while it is suggested to be the best option, it isn't always. However, it might work for you. It is my belief that lungworm or the pneumonia that the lungworms caused, is what made my goats severly anemic. Your vet might not be able to check for lungworm....mine couldn't....she said I would have to take a fecal to Purdue b/c the test is more extensive. I would really expect to see some diarrhea in a coccidiosis case on a kid and usually it is black. In order to cause anemia, it would have to have black (which is the blood showing) diarrhea for at least a few days. Make sure there isn't a lice situation too. Lots of folks seem to be dealing with lice really bad right now. I sure hope your doe gets better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts