Goat with mastitis

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Cheryl in SD, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

I messed up. I had triplets on one and my neighbor (who has had goats for years) stopped by. She told me that my doe needed to lose one as she was getting too thin. I was to give my neighbor one as breeding fee, so let her take one of the triplets. I didn't check her until today. One side is not getting milked and has mastitis now. :(

I ran to town for Today (fiasco farms suggestion) and am starting it tonight. I will massage her udder (already milked it out once this afternoon). Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks,
    Cheryl
    who is feeling REALLY bad right now

2. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

how do you know it has mastitis??

3. Cheryl in SD

When I milked her it was thick, pus-y and her udder was hot and hard. No blood. I am assuming that would be mastitis. Once I got the first milked out it was fine. I am hoping for improvement tonight, but will still dose her with the Today treatment.

Cheryl

4. DeltaDawn

DeltaDawn Active Member

We had a few with mastitis, and we used ToDay, and we also gave each of them a shot of penicillin, about 2cc each, once a day, for 3 days, and now it seems that they are all doing well...

5. Cheryl in SD

Should I get the penicillin too? I was told only to use it if this didn't work. What would you all do?

Joyfully, mostly,
    Cheryl

6. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

If the Today works (which it usually does) I do not give any other antibiotics. The one time you would have to give both would be a case of gangrene mastitis, but simple mastitis should clear up with 2 doses of Today given 12 hours apart.

7. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I would stay away from the pennicilin too....

My girl that has a bad side isnt responding to "Today" this time but just massaging and bag balm....her babies are 11 days old and she is giving 48oz on her good side a day and it is going up everyday....
    Vinegar in her drinking water and a chewable kids vitamin a day until she improves.....
    Mastitis IMO is the biggest/hardest thing to get a handle on....Thank God just this one girl of mine has issues....

8. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

I would give LA200 if that today does not clear it up in a day.. Also milk out as often as you can massage and warm compresses..

9. Cheryl in SD

Thanks everyone. I will use the Today again this morning. I am SO thankful dh is home and grew up with cows! He was such a sweetie last night with Paige. I held her and petted her and he just kept talking to her as he took care of it.

Joyfully,
    Cheryl

10. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I have a LaMancha that is a very heavy milker. She had triplets three weeks ago and one was small and needed to be brought into the house to be reared with a little extra TLC. The momma started being a bit droopy (she had a difficult delivery) had lumps in her udder, no pus, no temp, but was a bit off feed. I don't like to give meds unless it is really necessary but I gave her a SQ shot of LA 200. In 24 hours she was completely turned around. Now no lumps in the udder at all and she is back to her self and doing fine. There is a milk with holding time on these meds though and you need to check them out on the fiasco farm site...I can't remember offhand. Good luck with your doe.