Goat with discharge, dull coat, weird symptoms!! HELP!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by burfer, Mar 15, 2005.

1. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

We have a goat that has always been thin. We have no idea what she is, she was the first one we got. Four years later we get boers. Anyway, as I said she has always been thin, but now her coat is a little dull, has alot of "fluff" under her thin coat. She is eating, but is VERY picky. Today I noticed a green nasal discharge, so I started her on a round of penicillan. She seems weak, and when I face her it looks like her jaws maybe a little swollen. I thought then she may not be eating good because of that, so I gave her a little corn (her favorite) and she crunched it right up! Could a tooth be infected? Bottom line: thin goat, little appetite, dull coat, possible minor swelling in jaw. Any ideas? She has tested neg. for CAE and CL. Also, she had twins about 3 months ago, we treated her for clymidia (sp?), could that cause the signs above? She is wormed regularly with Cydectin/Ivermectin and has routine vaccinations. :confused:

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

fluff is undercoat for winter

my girls get pudgy faces when its cold cause their fur stands out staight.

She running a temp.?

Do you have mineral salts and baking soda avail. to her?

Hows her poop?

Def. give her probios if you give any meds...to help build up rumen.

3. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

Temperature?

Any nasal discharge besides clear indicates an infection.

Swelling of the jaw could be bottle jaw caused by worms. When was the last time she was dewormed, with what, at what dosage?

I would have a fecal taken into a vet so see if any parasites are present.

Are you using "long-acting pen."? What dosage are you using? I would treat for the 5-14 days. Never treat less than 5 days.

Another antibiotic that I use instead of Penicillin is Oxytetracyclin (LA200 or Bio-Mycin200)

However, do not use the two together.

Her coat could just be loosing the winter coat/shedding or could be nutritional related.

4. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Hi burfer,

If she has a temp, coupled with a "green" discharge, I would say that it would be a confirmed infection. Some of the other things do sound like a good possibility for parasites. I would probably have a sample tested just to rule that out and try to avoid possible multiple problems at the same time. We recently rotated to Cydectin and found a parasite that was resistant. All wormers don't work on all parasites all of the time. I'm not at home so I can't check the packaging or my protocols, but for example, I don't think that either is the most effective against the barber pole worm.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.

5. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

dull coat, swollen face....... Check her gums and eyes to see if they are white.
    I suspect they are.
    WORMS!! Anemia. With an infection on top of that.
    Worms cause a dull coat. Lice and or worms also cause enemia which causes the face to swell when severe. I had that problem last spring with several of my goats. One in particular. I almost lost her. She is fine now because some very helpful folks on the goat forum identified the problem and told me what to do.
    Check her eyes and gums and get back to us.

6. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

This evening when I went out to check the goats she was lying down and too weak to get up. We worm EVERY month, with Cydectin at the rate of 1cc per 20lbs. We last wormed 2 weeks ago. We re-wormed her tonight with Ivermectin at the rate of 2cc per 100lbs. It was 2 weeks between the wormings. I have not ran a fecal b/c we were worming on schedule. The others look fine, but her gums are white!! What should I do?????? :( We are worming, so I didn't check her. I feel like a real idiot!! Is it normal to just have a goat that is very suseptable to worms?? Any advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED!! :confused:

7. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Any vet you could call just for advice. Mine will answer my ?'s via phone a lot at no charge.

8. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

Get a fecal run ASAP to see exactly what you are dealing with.

She sounds anemic. There may be a possible resistance to the dewormers you are using.

http://www.fiascofarm.com/goats/wormers.htm

Above is a list of dewormers. I would possibly use a higher dosage of whatever dewormer you are using. Consider switching dewomers.

For the anemia I would give her Fortified Vit. B injections. Make sure she has access to minerals. Also, get her some Red Cell.

Also, some Nutri-Drench for a pick me up would help.

9. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like you might have fried her liver with the Cydectin!

10. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

get Iron in her ASAP. Red cell is good. If she is a large doe give her 15cc twice a day. If you have a vet call him and tell him she has white gums and tell him everything you have done. It may be lice and not worms. He may be able to give her Iron injections to get her on the right track faster.
    Don't mess around or you will loose her.

11. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

You will not find anyone who has goats very long who worms monthly. I agree that you are going to start having severe liver problems and worm problems with a schedule like that. I do treat for tapes in my infant kids for the first 3 months with Valbazen, but then go to fecaling. Even here in worm heaven I worm maybe 3 times a year now that we have been using Cydectin. To keep it working I want to only use it when I need to. Everything you give to your goat is processed through the liver. Vicki

12. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

At least I now know not to worm monthly! This is maybe the 3rd time we have used Cydectin, so I wouldn't think I have totally killed her liver yet! What is the dosage for Red Cell? Also, do you worm when you see the eggs? Any help would be appreciated!

13. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

For a worming schedule, I worm when the weather has been wet for awhile and has been fairly warm. On my property, in my setup that's when the worm load starts to build up. That means I worm in the spring and fall. This past winter we had a sudden thaw accompanied by a huge amount of rain so I went ahead and wormed them then.

This changes with every location. My farm stays in the single digits regularly during the winter, so the ground itself freezes - the worm eggs are just not a problem then. In the summer we usually get months of temps in the 90's with no rain so it really dries out - again, the worm eggs just aren't a problem. I also don't have many animals and lots of acreage for them to graze so the parasites don't build up.

Watch your goats closely. You'll see a slight change in their droppings and notice their color starting to change, sometimes you'll notice a slight cough. That's when you need to hit them with the wormer and mark down on your calendar to worm them next year a little before that time. This takes more time and more concentration than just hitting them every single month, but it also gets you more in tune with what normal is for your herd.

For red cell, I've always used the cattle dosage. It should be marked on the bottle.

14. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

WOW, you have wormed them way to much. I worm the day that the ykid, and in the fall and maybe once in the summer. 3 times a year, at most.

15. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

We just started worming monthly about 4 months ago, so I hope no side effects will come from this! Thank gosh I asked questions or I may have really screwed up! :(

16. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

did you have this doe when she was a kid? Could she have had cocci then? Sometimes that just leaves a goat substandard and they are apt to get heavy worm loads, illnesses going around etc.

17. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

We had her as an older kid, I treated her for Coccidia about 3 months ago. Could it be possible if she did have it for so long that it has returned/never was fully eradicated?