goat with digestion problems

Discussion in 'Goats' started by wwoodacres, May 3, 2005.

1. wwoodacres

wwoodacres Active Member

i lost a 4 month old pygmy/possibly nubian x she stole my heart like no other goat ever had and if anyone has any idea what was wrong i would appreciate the input in case it ever happens again. she had a little bit of swollen belly at 2 months when i got her i wormed her with safeguard. she ate goat pellet and orchard grass hay she was never playful and just wanted to be held . 2 weeks after i got her she bloated up bad so i took her to the vet $150.00 later he said she had a stagnet rumnant and gave her a shot and some colife to help her get moving inside . did fecal said it was fine. 2 weeks later her belly was still bigger then normal if she grazed for more then a few hours i had to pick her up and rub her belly and actually burp her to get her to expel gas. and no i didnt have lush green pasture i live in fl. and grass isnt that great. so once again i called another vet and he did a fecal and gave her a selenium shot he said she had coccidia & humogues worms which i had already done 2wks of di methox previously just in case he said worm again with fenabenzole and use corrid as a drench so i did both that evening. the next day she had no appetite and was very unsteady and staggered. i gave her a b complex shot and lots of tlc she nibbled a little dinner then layed down i let her stay with the other babies that night because she seemed content when i went out to check her the next day she was huge and had froth coming out her mouth i inserted a stomach tube and relieved the gas and put 60 ml bloat pac directly in her stomach with the tube the swelling went down but when i picked her up to try to get her to stand she died in my arms i tried to revive her but couldnt . reese was the kind of goat that could steal anyones heart she was fragile from being sick and loved to lick your chin. if theres anyone that knows what i could of done to save her or what could of been wrong with her i would like to know i have 10 other goats and they all do fine. its as if she could not expel gas on her own . any ideals????

2. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Sometimes there just is something not quite formed right inside them. That could have been the problem As far as what else you could have done???? Gee. You did a lot. Don't be hard on yourself. You did a great job and probably couldn't have saved her. The only thing I could possibly suggest would be to have given some probios daily to help get her rumen working. Acidosis can kill. Was she overeating on grain and not eating much hay? Was she drinking plenty water? How was her poop? normal or diarrhea or constipated? Something like this just gets to ya and makes you keep wondering what was wrong or could you have done something else. But, it sounds like you tried your best. Sorry she didn't make it. :waa:

3. wwoodacres

wwoodacres Active Member

her poop was normal, i gave probios once a week. at first i wasnt sure about water because she was with 2 other so i seperated her cut done to just medicated pellet 1/2 cup daily and hay available free choice which she ate very well i gave her 60 ml electrolytes every 3 hrs til i was sure she was drinking. she always seemed to be hungry ,

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss.

Sounds like you started with a sick baby. Were you bottling her? She was weaned awfully early if you weren't. You can just ditch the Safeguard, use Valbazen on your kids 1cc per 10 pounds, and Cydectin 1cc per 25 pounds orally on your adults, kids after weaning. Use Dimethox preventatively. All incoming kids should be on it the day they get there, it not only prevents and treats Cocci, but also bacterial scours and pnemonia, things that you bring to the farm. You are lucky that with her worm and cocci burdens that eventually killed her did not harm your other babies.

She was never playful because hemoncous worms and cocci eat the blood she was anemic and had no energy. She was always hungry and bloated looking, we call it the etheopian belly look, because the cocci had scarred her intestine to the point that nothing she was eating was being digested or absorbed as nutrients by the intestines. It's irresversable, why keeping on top of worming and cocci treatments are so important, you want to prevent problems not to try to fix them afterward.

Never add new stock to the core of your herd until they have been through quaranteen, cocci treated, wormed. With the health of your other goats, you can see how important purchasing new stock is, a kid who won't play, is lethargic, no matter how cute is not a good purchase, both because they are so unlikely to live, but the vet costs if you can't figure out the problem on your own, but also the cost to your herd if she brings in a resistant worm or cocci or bacteria onto your place that your goats have no immunity to. Vicki