Goat with Arthritis?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Merrique, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Merrique

Merrique Well-Known Member

I have a senior pygmy doe who is around 11 years old, Maggie is plump, healthy and even, by some miracle, produced a nice little doeling this spring. However, one of her front knees stays swollen and she limps constantly. I keep her hooves trimmed and she has never had hoof rot. She also up to date on all of her shots. Could she have arthritis? If you are in the field, you can hear her knee creak (just like mine!). It also seems to affect her more in the cooler, damp weather. She still gets around very well and rather quickly. Any suggestions to help her out a little?

2. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Sounds a lot like arthritis. Have you had her tested for CAE? (See sticky at the top of the goat forum.)

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

There are tons of websites that sell horse stuff, jeffersequine.com etc., in the horse sections they carry joint health for horses. Most are gluecosomine/chondroiton and MSM, the stuff I use on me! And it works really well on older stock. It will not take down the swelling, be it from arthritis or CAE, but it will make her able to get around really well. Also rubbing her knee each morning with 'brace' a mixture of DMSO and alcohol that your vet can mix up for you. In fact just rubbing the knee with DMSO...a spotlessly clean knee first...works really well. If this is an ongoing problem with the swelling that does not go down, no amount of anything will help it improve, you are just looking at keeping her pain down. You can not use oraly meds like aspirin or bute on a goat for pain, and no long term injectable pain relief is available...buteless which is a herbal bute will work if she will eat it, most of my does would not. Once her quality of life is poor and she will no longer walk upright but only on her knees,, please put her down. Vicki