goat with allergies?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dale anne, Jul 7, 2005.

1. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy ya'll need a bit of help here cause i cant figure out whats going on with my doeling....she is 5 months old..no temp,eats well,acts normal,no runny nose,no congestion in ears,eyes or chest,stool is normal ...the problem is she has a dry cough. she has had it since the start of spring and still has it ...if she were a child I would say it sounds like whooping cough!...i had her seperated for about 2 months from the rest of the herd when it first began but then placed her back with the herd. The cough has not spread to the other goats and no i havent treated her with an antibiotic cause she has no symptoms that warrent the use of them....I was wondering if she could have allergies?....we live in the woods and the pollen is still flying all over the place....what else could i do or try....No we dont have vets that tend goats...should I try an antibiotic on her? if so what would be the dosage and how long...she is a pygmy . I have procain and la200 on hand...thanks dale anne

2. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

one of my Nigerian dwarf does is allergic to certain cuttings of orchard grass hay so it is possible. Anyone else have an idea?

3. Denwally Farm

Denwally Farm Cashmere Goats

I had a doeling that coughed just like that. Two months later her sister had it. After 6 months four doelings had it. Antibiotics did not work. Isolation did no good. Worming didn't help. Finally I got out some cough free for horses and put it in with their minerals. Within a day they all stopped coughing! Now occasionally a doe will cough (I don't worry unless it is still happening wo days in a row.) I put the cough free out by itself and the doe always stops coughing by the next day. My theory is that there is some kind of weed that irritates their throat enough to cause an enduring cough. The cough free has fenugreek in it and may just sooth.

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

How long ago was her last worming? When my goats have a cough with nothing else going on it almost always is lung worms. I would try worming her before grabbing the antibiotics.

5. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy...she was wormed about 3 weeks ago..i thought about the lung worms also so i did re worm her but it doesnt seem to be the case...I think i will try some of that cough free...and perhaps get another wormer and try that cause i am hearing alot of wormers are doing the job anymore cause of immune build up...I really dont want to give her antibiotics unless it is really needed...thanks for the advice...keep it coming if ya'll can think of anything else...thanks dale anne