Goat went blind at breeders!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by caticon, Jan 1, 2007.

1. caticon

caticon Member

I took my nubian to get bred 2 1/2 weeks ago and they called to tell me a few days ago that she has pink eye & is blind in both eyes! I have never had this on my farm and they said they don't know how she got it. That she was fine one day then white eyes & blind the next?? They are giving antibiotics & eye drops does any one know if she will be permanatly blind or if it will go away. It's been about 4 days and no changes. They said she is acting normal other than being blind. What should I do????? My husband is mad and said I can't bring her home.

2. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

We purchased a doe that was completely blind with pink eye because we knew we could get her better. (She was in quaranteen for 5 months).
    I treated her twice a day with Tomorrow put on her eyes.
    Thankfully we had a herd health for the cow herd so we had the vet inject some anitbiotics directly into her eye.
    She cleared up and sees perfectly fine now. Good aim with those horns, too.... :flame:
    Oddly enough she actually maintained the pregnancy she arrived with and produced buck/doe twins less than five months after arriving here. Pink eye can cause abortions in goats if it is clamydia (I think..I could be wrong).
    It spreads like wild fire though!
    We had some cases in our cow/heifer herd, as well as, our goat herd later this past summer. Quite possibly from her, though we were careful. Not all the goats picke it up but a good number did.
    I had another doeling go completely blind and she sees fine now. I did keep her penned for about a week and not allow her to roam the 80 acres with the rest of the herd.
    We had a heifer go completely blind from pink eye a couple of summers ago. Her sight returned as well.
    Some can go completely blind but they generally pull through it.
    If you have other goats I would not bring her home and put her in with the herd until she is cleared up.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

You can't bring her home until she is cleared, or the rest of the herd, you or your other animals can catch pinkeye from her. Pinkeye is contagious and the breeder had to have pinkeye at their place, and should never have had you bring your doe there. It is just a nusiance disease, there is no danger of permanant damage to the eye unless the breeders inject something into them or with her eyes ulcerated use something with steroids in it. They should offer to keep her for free until clear. This is a very odd time of year to have pinkeye.

But I will say you are my shining example of why I recommend everyone has their own buck, this wouldn't have happened otherwise. You now do have to worry about abortive disease, so when she gets home either yourself inject her once a day for 10 days with any 200 mg tetracycline, subq 3.5cc per 100 pounds, or simply go to the feed store, order a bag of CTC crumbles, it's a crumble with tetracycline in it, and feed it to her by the pound information on the sack for a calf her same size, until she freshens.

Pinkeye, soremouth, lice, mites are just nusiances, yes it is irritating to have to treat, or to catch this, but it isn't a horrible disease that you should now hate the breeder for doing this to your doe. Vicki

4. enjoy the ride

enjoy the ride Well-Known Member

I send my goats to breeders too- so don't feel that you did anything wrong by doing this. If you only have a few does and not a lot of room or time, it is not reasonable to keep a buck of your own. Nice if you can but sometimes just not possible.
    And the breeders might not have had pink-eye obviously in their own herd- if they take in outside does to breed, it could have been a surprise to them- from what you say in your post, it is not possible for a reasonable person to know whose fault it is for sure. You would have to make that decision for yourself.

5. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

I thought oxytetracycline CAUSED does to abort? Isn't LA200 a form of oxytetracycline? Just today, I found a bad case of hoof rot in one of my does (and jeez if I wasn't feeling REALLY cocky about how "on top of things" I was with hoof trimming this year-once a month and STILL she gets it!) Anyhow, when I called the neighbor to ask if it was LA200 one gives to help alleviate hoof rot, she said I couldn't give it because it would cause the doe to abort? Help! I am now confused!

6. Kshobbit

Kshobbit Well-Known Member

No No tetracycline does not cause a doe to abort!! And I never heard that it was any good for hoof rot either, for that matter. Hoof rot is really hard to get rid of. If something like LA2000 cured it we would all have reason to celebrate.
    If your buck owner breeds a lot of does outside his herd you could be exposing your does to worse things than pickeye. I agree with Vicki that having your own buck solves many problems.

7. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

Blow some table salt into her eyes a few times (like twice a day for two or three days). Be very, VERY careful not to catch it yourself, because you can. Pinkeye is really contagious.

8. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

WHAT?!?! :eek: I would think that table salt would scratch the heck out of the eye, being crystals and all.
    Seriously, do people REALLY do this?? If so, exactly how does it help pinkeye?
    I mean, the salt would dissolve on the eye surface so why wouldn't you just dissolve the salt in water and squirt it in?

9. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

I would NOT recommend salt. LA200 givin as directed and terimyicin in the eye would be a better choice. If it is too bad the vet can give you Neomycin.

10. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

I've done the salt. It works, and it helps. I use a strong saline solution for myself and my children as well when we get pinkeye. It may sound crude, but it works and it's always available.

I suppose you could just squirt a strong solution in, but when animals are bad enough that people post about them on a board like this, they're usually bad enough that a mild saline might not be enough. I used the salt straight on my most valued and favorite animal, and it helped him. I wouldn't recommend something so awful sounding if I hadn't tried it alreay and seen some pretty amazing results. They didn't seem to experience any pain when I did it.

11. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I know of a lot of people that do the table salt and have never had a problem.

12. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

All the hocus pocus, home remedies or meds of all kinds, is not going to cure pinkeye. It can help with symptoms, he can help keep secondary infection at bay, but anything that cleans the eye, salt, or any eye drops, sprays, ointments.... doesn't cure anything. So use what you want, keep the eyes cleaned and let it run it's course. We are wanting her to use meds because the doe is bred, really she should have an eye swab done, find out what the offending bacteria is, mycopalsma, chlamydia or or or...then she can find out if she even needs to give meds or not. But no tetracycline will not cause does to abort, but pinkeye that is harboring chlamydia can. So a good guess, sans the eye swab, is to use tetracycline either injected if she is comfortable giving shots, or feed through.

Back in the day all hoof rot was treated with tetracycline, now we know that most hoof rot in goats is not the bacteria hoof rot found in cattle that tetracycline (LA200) came out to treat, when not from simple too much mud, is usually a copper defficency.

Tablesalt actually works very very well, it 'scrathes' off the offending gunk, while making the eye tear to clean itself, as does vinegar sprayed in the eyes, or port wine, or any of the other remedies us old goat keepers, like chamoisse ;) and I have tried over the years :) vicki

13. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Fish producers sometimes use salt to treat bacterial diseases. It sucks the water out of the bacteria by osmosis and causes them to dry up. Whether it will kill all of the bacteria or not I wouldn't know but it will also create tears to help flush the eye surface like Vicki said.

14. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

I used regular human pink eye drops twice a day and it cleared up on 3 days! had tried Pen and other ointments but it only got worse (yup white and she was having a hard time seeing - not blind though).

I later found out that LA 200 would have been a better antibiotic to use then pen but now I know.

Well I really don't agree that it has to run its course.......how come doctors treat humans with antibiotics and it clears up (yes it is the same pinkeye, at least a strain of it) proove me wrong here but it doesn't make sense.

15. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

If it's the same pinkeye, and not species specific like is stated in Goat Medicine, our only vet text, than why can we not use the cattle vaccine to vaccinate our goats against pinkeye? Because goats get pinkeye from many sources, chlamydia, mycoplasma etc...and yes you can clear symptoms with anything, but if you did a swab of the eyes and stopped using the meds it is indeed still there. And goats do not catch cattle pinkeye. They can catch pinkeye during fly season, like cattle. But not all weeping eyes is pinkeye, and yes an infection of the eyes that causes tearing can be cleared up with antibiotic drops, and LA200 is the recommended meds for treating cattle pinkeye :)

Not trying to prove anyone right or wrong, I just used to broker goats, pinkeye, soremouth, ringworm, thankfully lice is uncommon in our area, foot rot and others, were common by the time we were called to get the goats. I learned pretty quickly how to treat this stuff. Vicki

16. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

well I just can't sit by and not do anything, and if it might help then I will do it just in case.

thankfully Destiny's only got to the clouded white stage and not farther before I found what worked. And it worked right away - I noticed a difference after 1 1/2 days.

17. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    It's a bacterial infection. Treat it with antibiotics, and cut the witch-doctor-y waste-of-time before you put someone's eye out.