Goat weak update

Discussion in 'Goats' started by burfer, Mar 20, 2005.

1. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

I posted the goat with dull coat, thin, wierd symptoms thread. She is doing better, can get up and down and is eating/drinking ok. She has some discharge, a tiny bit green, but very pale green. Should I start her on a round of PenG, or just watch her. If I should PenG her, what is the doseage?

2. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I would probably go at least three more days on pen g. and give probious with the shot.

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

The dosage should be written on the PenG bottle itself. If they don't list one for goats I personally would extrapolate from the dosage for cows. The sheep dosage is too low for goats.

4. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

Is she running a temp.? Or is it low?

Depending upon the type of penicillin you have the dosages are as follows:

Procaine Penicillin G-
    300,000 units Procaine Penicillin per ml
    SQ Injection
    1ml per 15 lbs. twice daily - Treat from 5-14 days, never less than 5. It should be used at least 5 days and until all symptoms have disappeared, whichever comes first.

Penicillin Procaine & Penicillin Benzathine combo-
    150,00 penicillin units G procaine & 150,000 units penicillin benzathine per ml
    "Long acting Penicillin"
    SQ Injection
    1 ml per 25 lbs. once a day -Treat from 5-14 days, never less than 5. It should be used at least 5 days and until all symptoms have disappeared, whichever comes first.

If you have probios giving that daily will help restore normal rumen bacteria too.