Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Sunny Daze Farm
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had someone e-mail me about my goats asking me what the "cheapest one I had" was. This already set off alarms. I have one nigerian X doe I am selling for $60, which is the one she was inquiring about. I really didn't think anything was going to come of this anyway, but she called me today wanting to come out and look. We got to talking, and she wants a goat her daughter can use for goat tying. I very politely told her I was not comfortable selling my goats for that purpose and she went off on me....asking me what my problem was with goat tying...she said the goats like it and come back for more....ha, right!! I can just imagine the poor goat in question being chased down by this horse and then thrown to the ground and tied....then getting right back in the chute, or whatever it may be, willingly for the second round. She got pretty nasty and then hung up. I don't usually sell any of my goats that for that little, but she was supposed to be a nigerian but it is now obvious she is crossed with ???? and I have yet to see her go into heat in the year I have had her so she is basically good for...well, hopefully not only goat tying!!! I think it would be more humane for her to be dinner (although she isn't very meaty). Am I way off here???

·
Registered
677 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being picky about where you want your goats to go. I know I would be scared to death if I was tied to a stake and had a horse coming at me! I think it is great you stood your ground. Of course, this person may have had a bad day and you got the brunt of it too.

·
Registered
383 Posts
My niece wanted one for tying.
As she asked this her brother laughed and told a story of how she killed the last one she tied. She barely blinked as she said,' Well, I didn't think I threw it on the ground that hard'.
:eek: :flame:
She didn't get a goat. I walked away before a flood of nasty words left my lips.

Pam

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi LFmenagerie,the question comes to mind,did your niece go get a knife and cut the throat of the goat she threw and killed so that it could be butchered for food? Did she dress it out after she killed it? I am not familiar with goat tying as a sport,but I don't like waste of any kind.If you engage in an endeavour that can result in the death of an animal,then you should be required to dress it out and use it.Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
They are your goats.Sell or don't sell to whom ever you please and you don't owe anyone an explanation.Some people don't hold goats in high regard as members here do.There are some who just don't deserve to have goats.

·
Missing Home
612 Posts
When I went to buy goats a few months ago the lady asked me why I was going to put them in my minivan instead of hog tying them first, she said "what if they make a big mess in your van?" :shrug: I can't imagine that tying one up would be a very good way to show them that I wasn't going to hurt them, especially since they were real skittish as it was. They rode home sitting in the back seat like little people lol.

·
Sunny Daze Farm
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, glad to hear I wasn't being totally unreasonable. I am definitely glad I didn't sell her to them. I started researching it a bit and there is NO WAY a goat enjoys that, as she kept stating. I am really surprised more of them don't snap their necks when the horse comes barreling towards them. She definitely took up the defensive and got nasty pretty quickly. I am sure this wasn't the first time she has been turned down...

·
Premium Member
15,784 Posts
She probably has some doubts about it herself and you just forced her to think about them. Good for you!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
You have every right, even a responsibility, to do just what you did. And you do not need to offer anyone an explanation.

When I sell a goat/s, I thoroughly explore with the potential buyer what their intentions are regarding the animal. If I do not approve of what they have in store, then I ask an unreasonable price, say $300. for a grade goat. I never have to tell them my reservations, they just back off, muttering that they would never pay that for a goat.

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts
I wouldn't sell a goat for that either. Like someone else said, I would butcher her out before I would do that. Much better she went quickly then to be terrified over and over again before somebody threw her down hard enough to kill her.

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
Much better she went quickly then to be terrified over and over again before somebody threw her down hard enough to kill her.
Amen!

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,853 Posts
It's a rodeo event for young people, very similar to calf roping, but for girls instead of guys. I don't care for it, but I don't care for bull riding and bronc riding, either.

You can see in the cover of this video that's for sale on the 'Net, that the girl and her horse chase the goat down the arena, rope it, the girl bails off the horse and runs down the roped goat while the horse backs up, pulling the rope tight. Then, the girl flings the goat down and does something to it. Used to be tie a ribbon on the tail, but now they may tie the legs together like the guys. I dunno.

I wouldn't want it to happen to any goat that I know. :nono:

http://www.goattyer.com/video.htm

·
Registered
146 Posts
"You can see in the cover of this video that's for sale on the 'Net, that the girl and her horse chase the goat down the arena, rope it, the girl bails off the horse and runs down the roped goat while the horse backs up, pulling the rope tight. Then, the girl flings the goat down and does something to it."

And on the cover for the video the doe they are using looks really young. Now i can't imagine that people have goats herds out there that they actually use horses to run them down with. I cannot believe this is an actual sport but then again so is dog fighting. (illegal and unethical though it is>

Kerrin

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
"You can see in the cover of this video that's for sale on the 'Net, that the girl and her horse chase the goat down the arena, rope it, the girl bails off the horse and runs down the roped goat while the horse backs up, pulling the rope tight. Then, the girl flings the goat down and does something to it. Used to be tie a ribbon on the tail, but now they may tie the legs together like the guys. I dunno."

Don't confuse goat tying with calf roping. In the goat tying event, the goat is staked at one end of the arena on a short rope (5-6 feet). The competitor rides the horse up to the goat, bails off, flanks and throws the goat, and ties three legs together. The goats are not roped or attached to the horse in any way like the calves are in calf roping. Not that it is any better, but just a clarification.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,853 Posts
OK, I see it on the cover now. Oops. I thought the rope was between the horse and goat.

Well, a little better, but I'm still not a fan.

I don't think the sport developed from actual need....like the history of calf roping. I think it's a girl sport substitution for calf roping. Like half court basketball used to be. :grump:

·
Registered
735 Posts
Videos of goat tying

with a horse
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqtNRh1-4dk&mode=related&search=[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIWuWKEuvzs&mode=related&search=[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5J-m6jYaJo&mode=related&search=[/ame]

without a horse
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3lfuTuodyE&mode=related&search=[/ame]

AND THEY DO HAVE GOAT ROPING
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA080705.1B.goat_rodeo.348102b.html

It doesn't look like the goat is having a very good time to me.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Well if I sell any Stock I just soon never hear what happens to it.I sold most my Goats to one Guy.Well I seen him about a year later and he was telling me how he had lost some because he wasn't taking proper care of them.

Like I say I just soon not to have run into him.

big rockpile

1 - 20 of 69 Posts