goat treats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Dale in Ar, May 2, 2006.

1. Dale in Ar

Dale in Ar Well-Known Member

I read some time back about treats that you can feed to a goat but I forgot what they were .Could some of you tell me your treats that I can entice my does with?They are doelings and I want to tame them down some since they are new.
    Also,I was given a price on a grown doe for a small price,the owners were getting out because of wifes health problem.She looked real good to me but they said that she had mastitis in one teat.This doe gave off triplets the last time she dropped kids,they sold one of the kids and she raised the other two.Now my question,would she be worth pursuing and what would be a good price for her?She is a 85% or better Boer.

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Treats you can use: plain old animal cookies, raisins, apples, & carrots are a few what mine like.

Can't help you on the Boer. I raise dairy.

3. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

Do not give too many treats, you don't want to upset their stomachs will all sorts of new stuff all at once. Just being the source of their grain will help as they begin to recognize that when you come around, you bring the food/ hay/ warm water. Spend as much time as possible just "hanging out" in the barn/pasture with the goats. Read a book... whatever, let them come up to you. I wouldn't pay too much for a doe that's not used to being handled, and I'd also be concerned since you said she has mastitis. Are the current owners treating the mastitis? Just b/c she's a meat goat and your not milking her doesn't mean the mastitis can go untreated. If she's done nursing, and is drying off, there is a treatment called 'Tomorrow' available at any feed store. If she's still nursing, the treatment to use is 'Today'. Both get squirted up into the teat.