Goat trailers?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by DocM, Nov 25, 2006.

1. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

What do you use? I use a stock trailer, because it's what I have, but there is a lot of wasted head room. I have considered having the top cut off and lowered. Maybe I could add a deck to load tack into? It already has a hay rack up top. Does anyone want to share pictures of their custom goat hauling rigs?

2. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

Alum Line does, they also make a line of "poppers and toppers" that fit in the back of a pickup truck. http://www.alumline.com/

3. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

We call ours the "Ma 'n Pa" model...its a 1980 chevy truck bed, with a landscaper's metal grill thingy that gives it grate sides about 3 feet higher around the top edge of the bed-sides. It is a lovely shade of primer gray and rust and looks ever-so-professional as we bring goats to fair alongside aluminum livestock trailers. It works though!

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

5. lyceum

lyceum Well-Known Member

We use a stock trailer too. But we have to haul cattle in the same trailer, so can't but an upper level for tack. I have seen trailers with tack racks above the goats. It works really well. I have also seen quite a few people with hog trailers. That way there is not the wasted head room. The only drawback is that if you have a huge doe that likes to prop, they have little room to do so.

Carisa

6. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

7. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

The 2*4's were salvaged from lawn tractor crating(neighbor business) and the chip board was from hot tub crating (my husband's work) :shrug:

To add: Every 3rd 2*4 has a stall door---2 adult goats or up to 4 kids in a stall so 4 stalls in my trailer....a calf in the last stall to drink all the milk usually(first out) then herd queen comes out....the other goats will follow and go to her. :cool:

8. ForMyACDs

ForMyACDs Well-Known Member

We used a 16' stock trailer. If a lot needed to be hauled for a long stay away (show etc) we put boards across the upper vents of the trailer and stacked hay etc, above the goats (still plenty of ventilation left).

For shipments of small numbers we built a "truck box" that collapses down when not in use. It fit perfectly in the back of the truck offering maximum room for the goats and with plastic panels in the front of the box we could look thru the rear window to check on the goats while driving. I could also set the box on my 6'x8' small flatbed trailer to haul the box behind the car.

9. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Doc if you are over 4 feet tall don't even think about permanently lowering your roof down, you do have to clean it out! We also have a 4 horse stock trailer, we like Lisa also make it double decker with 2x 6's so we can haul hay and tack over the top of the goats in the front compartment (usually smaller stock). I mostly use it for purchases, or hitting a local show with a large group. When I normally go to shows they are between 2 and 4 hours away, so I pick the best does for each class, filling the carrier on my truck that way. Cool for me is that the porch around me house is the same heighth as my truck bed, so my girls all follow me to the house at 2 am, walk around the porch and into the back of the truck without having to jump up. I use the base of my milkstand to get them in and out at the shows. Vicki

10. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

For now, we have a 4' x 8' chain link dog kennel that we put in the back of the pickup truck. It works great for a few goats on shorter drives. But for longer trips, we're going to need something more enclosed and less drafty.