Goat Tooth loss

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Starsmom, May 25, 2005.

1. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I was wondering if there were any opinions on this. My buck just turned 1 year old. He has been a little down and out and thinking he was acting like he did when he was teething much earlier, I checked. He has loss two front teeth, I know that is normal. But, he has several other teeth that are loose. Is that normal. I didn't think they lost the other teeth until next year and on up until about 5 years old. Should I be concerned about the loose teeth, or is it simply the stress of the missing teeth and all. Will they tighten back up when the new ones come in? Just wondering if this is something I should be concerned about.

2. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

That isn't normal. How loose are they? What is he eating? Is he eating whole corn at all? That will wear his teeth down. Does he gnaw on his pen (if he's alone, I have seen bucks do so from boredom).

To lose the two center baby teeth, and in successive years, the next sets, is one thing. Having them all get loose is worrisome.

3. Starsmom

He browses as he wishes. He gets a handful of goat chow 2x daily. He does on occassion steal some of the chickens cracked corn. But he doesn't get much when he does. It is scattered on the ground for the roosters and guineas. He shouldn't be bored. I have 5 horses and he is part of their herd. He runs with them all the time. I also have a doe and a 6 week old buckling. He doesn't have alot of contact, just through the fence. He is the only one allowed to roam free at will. The doe gets out for exercise a few hours a day, but she is let out when he usually has his quiet time in his favorite spot in the corral. She says hi to him, but he doesn't bother with her much. He prefers the horses and he likes the buckling (his son) quite a bit. They will be good pals later. He does eat wood. He has been chewing through a couple wooden posts. I thought the horses were doing it, but I caught him a few times.

I did check his teeth again this morning. The new ones have broken skin and coming through quickly. The other teeth are not super loose, and appear healthy, not discolored or damaged, the gums look good. Maybe I am worried for nothing...He is my son's favorite, they play together every day and we have had some difficult times with him and I guess I am a little overprotective of him. He is just so super sweet, I would hate for anything to happen to him.

4. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

Ok. That sounds better. :) Chewing on wood: do they have a salt block? I think they sometimes chew to get at the salt in the wood (from having rubbed against it before).

5. Starsmom

Yes, he has a salt and trace mineral block he shares with the horses. He uses it frequently. He just seems so moopy. I have been giving him bute for the pain I know he is in. Usually after he gets the bute he will graze for a while, but once it wears off he goes and lays down.

6. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I bought a little pygmy goat, well, I rescued her. her teeth were loose, come to find out she didn't know how to eat goat food, or hay, she was a pet, the woman said, and forged in the back yard. It took months to teach her to eat hay, and goat chow, I kept her in a pen during that time. she was treated for cocci, which I think she had, and I gave her vitamin b complex, about 2x a week, got Bose once a month for two months, and regular worming, took 4 wormings, but now she is peooy, running with her tale up, and plays, and eats, her gums are nice and pink now, and her teeth are getting tighter.
    her coat is shinier, and she is healthier. but it took a lot of doing. loose teeth can be cause by many things, but I would use regular goat minerals on him, and give nutri drench daily for a week, and really hit the vitamins, and treat for cocci, and worms, in aout a month, you should see a biog turn around. i would keep him in a pen or stall, until I got him built back up, then let him in th pasture, for a few hours a day, but always return to the stall at night, and for feeding.

7. Starsmom

I was putting him in his stall at night and turn him out with the horses in the mornings, until I noticed he wasn't eating as much and I wanted him to be able to eat when he felt like it so for about a week he hasn't been put in his stall. although I find he goes there anyway on his own. He is very much a creature of habit and has a set routine and usually follows it.

I have been worming him, and we can only get cow or horse minerals in our area. I had to request the goat chow special order, but they won't do that with the blocks.

He did seem better yesterday. Not quite his normal self, but much better. He did play a little with my son and followed him around.