Goat/Sheep/Hog Box for pick-up truck - anyone have any plans?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Wannabee, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Wannabee

Wannabee Foggy Dew Farms

I want to build a box to haul my goats and/or sheep and/or hogs on the back of the pick-up truck.

Anyone already have any plans drawn up for such a thing? How tall does it need to be to comfortably fit 1-2 of any of these animals? How deep? How wide?

Any help would be aprreciated! Thanks!!!!!

2. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

I just built mine with some cattle panels and a plywood base. I made 4 cleats that run width wise across the bed. I cut thick marine grade plywood to fit between the wheel wells and near the full length of the truck. I screwed that to the cleats then cut panels to fit the dimensions of the base and cut them to the height (just below) of the cab. I cut the bottom ends of the pannels just above the first horizontal bar so I had long vertical bars. I marked where the bars sit on the base and drilled holes for them to slide into. I did this for all side and dropped the pannels into place. I cut the front panel so that I had horizontal bars extending beyond the sides. Taking two box end wrenches I grabbed the bar and turned it back on itself, wrapping around the side panel bars, locking them in place. I then cut the top which ended up being just the right size.

For quick fitting I used zip ties to get everything together and went back with stronger stuff. I then cut two pieces the size of the door. One I mounted about halfway back inside the box but swung up to lay along the roof (held up with zip ties so I could drop it easily) I used this to seperate animals if need be (ie purchase a ram and a lamb at the same time , in my case) The last door was hinged to the side at the back. I then held thewhole thing down by ratchet tiedowns hooked to the cargo hooks on the bed. The most I've had in it were 3 large breed sheep, would of fit 4 easily. The height (to the top of the cab) was just right as well and easily fit my karakul ram or boer buck.

There is a good chance his made absolutely no sense. If so let me know and I'll try to clarify.

3. Paul72

Paul72 Well-Known Member

I built mine for a short box Ford F150, I built mine with a 2x4 frame covered with 1/2 marine plywood. I built it like a normal topper except that the sides are straight and it sits about 10 inches or so above the cab. I made the sides 30" tall, the roof is about 6' by 6'4'', I use 4 bolts to secure it to the top edge of the box. On the back I put a 32" wide door so when the tailgate is closed it almost touches the back of the box.----Paul

4. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

We rent a 4x6' Uhaul enclosed trailer.

Renting a trailer: $10
    Bale of shavings for the bed: $5
    Natural pork on the hoof: $150
    Showing up at the slaughterhouse with a pig in a Uhaul: priceless

Seriously--why build when you can rent for $10 a few times a year?!

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

If you can find a lawn tractor dealer in your area....you might be able to make do w/ one of those crates the tractors come in....

My trailer barn (recycled lumber from crates and hot tub packing) end cost $65
    http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c...=trailerbarn.jpg&refPage=20&imgAnch=imgAnch28

Here's a pallet crate w/ just got(right hand middle)
    http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c...=HiMomKittyLily.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch6

We made some chicken crates out of two side panels of a tractor crate...we cut the panel 2*4 in thirds (about 2ft) leftover wood on the bottom (luan) and chicken wire on three sides. 1 holds 20 meat birds and 2 will slide side by side into the back of the truck. dimensions about 2ft*2ft*6.5ft

6. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

Because picking up animals in the mountains when you don't know where your going with a trailer is a royal pain. A truck box is much easier to navigate in unfamiliar areas. Also, I don't like the way trailers bounce with small animals in them. A couple goats or sheep aren't enough to compress the suspension on a trailer and it tends to bounce around like it was empty. A truck box gives the animals a smoother ride with (seemingly) less chance at leg injury.

Oh, and I don't have to worry about going and getting a trailer if I need to move a sick animal, or pick one up on short notice.

7. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

We used to have a regular stock rack, but did you know pickup beds are about an inch narrower than they used to be?
    I've used temporary racks made out of panels before, just set em in, wire them together and go.
    For larger animals I prefer a trailer.

8. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Well, I can't argue with that, though I believe a couple of baconers compress the springs just fine. :baby04:

9. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

Nor would I want to lift a couple pigs into the back of my pickup box....

Horses for courses, as with most things.

10. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Large and extra large dog kennels work okay too depending on size of goat sheep...Pyrnad has some big dog crates and fits two calves in one rather generously too....a full sized milk goat will generally fit in a dog kennel (better w/o horns)...I've also seen lots of folks bring their broilers to the butcher in them...you can build a rack and double stack birds...I recently got a large collapsable one for $5 at a yard sale.

We were also going to use our canoe rack that fits into the corner holes of the bed w/ strapping and garden type fencing (2in by 4 in holes) but someone backed into the rack and busted one leg...

I wonder if u-haul ever sells any of their old trailers?

11. goatgirl2

goatgirl2 Active Member

Wannabee, I did what Thatch did, build it out of cattle panels. I didn't even put a plywood bottom on it but use a rubber trailer mat when I'm hauling goats. I just use baling wire to fasten the edges and cut the panels with bolt cutters. It is light enough for me to lift it in and out of the PU, and I secure it to the edges of the truck bed with baling string to keep it from shifting. I have a ford ranger and I can fit 3 adult goats in it. Now I've got a camper shell on the back and that works fine, too. debra in nm

12. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

I am new to this, but couldn't you just tie them to some eyelets on each side of the bed?

Or get one of those springy nets with a pole in the middle to prop it up?

13. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

Tractor supply sells them, go to their website and look under livestock equipment, second page i think. enlarge the pic and you should be able to copy one.

14. goatgirl2

goatgirl2 Active Member

MWG, you really don't want to just tie your animals in the bed of the PU and take off down the road! :nono: Goats & sheep are not as obedient or trainable as dogs and will jump out and hang themselves. Will do it, not maybe would do it. Enclosed is best for livestock. debra in nm

15. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

We got a 4'x8' chain-link dog kennel for free on freecycle (two actually), and one fits in the bed of the truck perfectly. We put a tarp across the top and secure with tie-dows. Works great.