Goat Shed? Pictures please!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Evergreen160, May 13, 2012.

1. Evergreen160

Evergreen160 New Member

Hi all!
    We are planning a goat shed for our (soon to be) 2 nubian goats and I would love to see what others have created! We live in a cold environment so it needs to have 4 walls and a place for hand milking. We've never built something like this before so we need help! Any pictures or advice would be really appreciated :)

2. IndyGardenGal

IndyGardenGal Crazy Goat Lady Supporter

There are pics of a goat shed we built out of recycled lumber on our blog. We do milk the girls in the barn though.

3. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

Ours is 16x16 it has an 8x8 milk room that is seperated by the hay bin and the other wall is wire and a 3 ft gate.
    You can see the gate attached to the wall when closed makes a birthing stall. There is one on the other wall that makes and 8x8 stall.The milk room has pavers on the foor.
    Otherwise the dogs and girls have an L shape room to lounge in.
    We put fiberglass panels in the roof for light .I do not have electric in there we rigged up RV lights. I can run off a battery jumper box.
    It maybe to much for your two, but I also started with just two. lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2012
    shanzone2001 likes this.
  4. Donna1982

Donna1982 Well-Known Member Supporter

Our "barn" is a 10 x 10 dog kennel we have tarps covering it. The boys have a calf hut. The milk barn is like 11 x 12 old shed that was there when we bought the farm. It was my boyfriends tool shed but I have slowly moved the goat stuff in. Hehehe.

JBarGFarmKeeper and Zilli like this.
  5. prairiedog

prairiedog Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a tarp and cattle panel hoop shelters in the pens for the goats. We also have a 10x12 shed that we use for milking and kidding.

6. mpete

mpete Well-Known Member Supporter

I made the feeder outside of my goat barn... because the goats pee where they eat, and ammonia builds up and then pneumonia can quickly happen. You DO NEED TO HAVE WATER IN THE BARN THOUGH!!!! Goats will go out to eat, but not to drink water. They really love warm water on the cold days.

7. Squeaky McMurdo

Squeaky McMurdo A teeny bit goat crazy

These threads are so helpful! I would love to see more sheds too. My husband is an electrician so I'm sure our future goats will be spoiled with heat, air conditioning, and light.

8. Goldenfarm

Goldenfarm Well-Known Member

Me too!!!! I would love to see what people have!

We are in the planing stage right now. We are thinking maybe a 10x14.... we are thinking 2-3 goats at this point. What ever I can talk my husband into!! :)

9. TriWinkle

TriWinkle Fist City

I'm using a calf-hutch for my two...If the weather permits, I'll get some pics and post tomorrow.

I recently added flooring by using a sheet of plywood on top of three railroad. I placed the railroad ties on top of a landscaping timber to give it a slight slope so that wastes will run off into the holes I drilled into the floor.

Calf-hutch was a lifesaver because I can't build to save my life.

10. wolffeathers

wolffeathers Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome! How cold is cold? It will help with the ideas, as cold can be relative. :)

11. Evergreen160

Evergreen160 New Member

COLD! :) I'm in the foothills of Colorado and live at 8,100 ft. Really we don't have sustained below zero temps (VT would be colder) but we can go a couple of weeks in the teens at night. During the day it is almost always sunny unless it is snowing and then we can easily get 4 ft of snow. It can get quite windy - 60 mph gusts are pretty normal hence why we need at 4-sided barn. The summer is warm but not hot - temps top out in the low 80's F.

Thanks for everyone's input!

12. Tallabred

Tallabred Cathy Supporter

Welcome! This was my first forum that I came to when I got my first goats. You can learn a lot of good information here.

My son lives in Vail - I SO WANT to move to the Colorado mountains!!

13. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7

Here is what we did. If you look closely you can see part of the roofing lets sunshine in during winter months, the loft is open on one end and one complete side (with wire ventilation on both sides up directly under the rafters), the feeders are high enough so a "step" is needed to eat from them...no pooping gets inside...and all water buckets and mineral/baking soda feeders are hung on the walls to keep them clean. You cannot see the milking area well; however, it faces the south and is on part of a wooden floor. (I built a 2 ft wall along side it opposite where I would sit to milk so as to help me train milkers who were difficult initially.) Also, one of my most valued construction to this barn is the middle wall that can be closed or kept open. During bad weather I house my herd buck in one side and he cannot get thru to the does even if they are in heat! Neither can the does get to him!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2012
    Elsbet likes this.
  14. Bambitski

Bambitski Well-Known Member

15. Blue Run Farm

Blue Run Farm Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, motdaugrnds, that is really nice! My "barn" is a dog kennel. I made a 10x10 "stall" and a 10x6 "stall" with kennel panels. Then I bought a 10x20 canopy from TSC and put it up over top of the "stalls." I double tarped the sides to keep rain and wind out, so it is fairly weather tight, but not perfect.

Unfortunately, the stupid chickens keep wanting to sit on the edge of the roof, so it leaks a little. And it develops condensation along the top peak which drips into the stalls. My milkstand is in the 6x10 stall and doubles as a loafing shelf for the doe in there. I had a stand in each stall, but one broke and needs to be repaired. I would also really like to put in a raised floor. I have the floors matted, but some water still runs underneath when we have a heavy rain like last night. Our soil is mostly clay, so it doesn't exactly drain well. I have a dream that one day I will win the lottery and build a real barn.

16. Bambitski

My goat barn (willbe buck barn soon) is 20x16. It has two stalls and an open area. Previously for milking. But we are cutting down.to 1 stall for the brooding box for chicks and such and an open area for the bucks. I am going to buy two of the $300 sheds from tractor supply for the doe pen. Open up the back sand connect them. Found out it was cheaper than buying all the stuff to make one. I plan on insulating and adding walls for them. Will figure out milking shed when spring comes. Then DH is going to build me a little shed and pen by the clothes line in back that I will use as a breedin gpen and then birthing shed and pen. He put in french doors in my frontroom for Mothers day, so I will be able to see and hear anything goin gon there. LOL Good thing he loves me. He has so much work cut out for him. ;) LOL

17. Blue Run Farm

That sounds very interesting! Is this a wood shed of some sort for that price or the ShelterLogic ones with the tubes and heavy duty tarp material? How big is it? I need another shelter for my goats and have been trying to come up with something we can afford...

18. prairiedog

prairiedog Well-Known Member Supporter

19. Bambitski

They are the ones from lowes made from tin. Hence insulating and making walls inside. 6x8 or 8x10. Cant remember the size. But I plan on getting an extra one to put feed in too.

20. Blue Run Farm