Goat share program in WA state?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BlessedMom, Sep 27, 2004.

1. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Hi all;
    I've been reading about people doing a cow share program to be able to share their raw milk. I'd like to do this with my goats. Is there anyone doing this in Washington state??

Thanks!
    BlessedMOM

2. Galloping Goats

Galloping Goats Active Member

go to www.realmilk.com it gives the whole low down. It also lists by state people who are involved in goat share. I am thinking about doing that myself.

3. BlessedMom

I have looked at that site. I just don't find any guidelines for WA state in particular. Do you think we need to have a lawyer draw it up??

thanks,
    Lori

4. BlessedMom

I forgot to ask also...is it legal to sell milk for animal consumption? I can't seem to find anything about that in WA.

5. gmm41

gmm41 Member

I live in Gray's Harbor Co., am close to Mason Co. and Thurston Co. and was looking to purchase fresh goat milk. Is there anyone close to me that does that?
    Gloria

6. Galloping Goats

Galloping Goats Active Member

www.realmilk.com it has links by state to people who participate in the goat share program. There a couple of people in Wa. that have websites that you can look at. One has it completely explained for anyone to look at. The Dept. of Agriculture in Wa. has a long list of regulations for selling milk both for human and animal use. While animal use regs. are not quite as stringent they are still lengthy. One particularly strange one is that you have to dye the milk green and label it for animal consumption only. I think a person would be hard pressed to convince people that drinking milk dyed green is more healthy. I hope this helps, good luck finding someone in your area.

7. BlessedMom

Thanks so much! I don't know why I didn't see the information before.
    I think it is so ridiculous! Dying it GREEN!! Give me a break!
    I think WA state wants to make things as difficult as possible for any small business owner at this rate!

BlessedMom