Goat scours in a day old kid

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Paso, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Paso

Paso Well-Known Member

What can I do fast she is loosing her strength. She has a brother doing great but she isnt and the diareah is yellow and runny. Please your help is needed. Thank you

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

A little goat 101. The very first poop is black (meconium) that seals the butt shut during the 5 months in the uterus, this is passed quickly after birth. Then when the kids start nursing the thick yellow first milk (colostrum) their poop is from sticky thick to runny yellow mustard. When you move on to milk, their poop becomes black and small pellets like their moms.

So you are likely not seeing true diarrhea unless you have fed this little girl someting other than colostrum from her mom. Now if she has runny poop and also a high fever, than yes, it can be an infection of her navel cord, ecoli, but at only 1 day old, that's doubful. Vicki

3. Paso

Paso Well-Known Member

Thank you vickie, maybe I got worried too soon. she looks alot better tonight Im gld I didnt jump to conclusions. This sight has helped me soooo much and the people like you are so much help thank you again. If anything changes Ill get back on here. :)