Goat Questions from a Cow Person

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Timberline, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Timberline

Timberline Keeper of the Cow

Hi. I want to run a question past you experienced goat milkers. I milk Dexter x Jersey cows. I sharemilk with the calves. When the cow is first fresh, I milk once a day until she isn't producing so much that's she's uncomfortable if I don't. Then I milk 2 or 3 times a week, more or less as I need the milk. I just separate them several hours prior to milking. On the days I don't milk, the cow and calf are together all the time. Then, when I wean the calf, I milk daily (a bit less every day) until she's ready to dry up.

Is anyone doing something similiar with goats? I am considering milk goats for the coldest winter months (much cleaner animal to keep up in and around the barn in the winter) and milking my cows during the summer months. I don't want to go back to milking daily for the duration of lactation and twice a day is out of the question, too busy for that.

Any thoughts or suggestons would be appreciated.

2. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

I have never milked goats that way but I have done this: Cage the kids at night milk the doe in the morning - not all the way out though, let the kids nurse all day and then cage again that night etc.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

fiascofarm.com does it like you are talking about, and you can really keep the kids nursing for as long as you like with that also, only taking kids off when you want milk the next morning or evening milking. Also with the use of CIDR's and PG600 just like in cattle you could manipulate heats so your does will kid when you want them to in the late fall...or use Nubians who will come into heat in July and kid in Dec naturally. Vicki

4. Timberline

Thanks, Vicki, for the link. I love sharemilking with my cow because we can go places, etc, and was hoping this works well with goats, too. Some cows will not let the milk down well, with this method, however. With them, I tie the calf at the head of the stancion and that usually does the trick. Do goats have the tendency to hold their milk up as well?

5. PygmyLover

no I have never had a goat hold up their milk. I have heard that when you milk cows you have to do it at the same time every day and in the same order of each teat (I could be wrong on this) but this is not the case with goats, in my experience.

6. Timberline

Thanks. I have found with cows not letting down, that it seems to be a very individual thing. Some are more persistant about than others (in my herd, anyway).
    Glad to hear your goats don't do this.

7. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Our cows never heard this........ :shrug: :)

8. PygmyLover

well I have never had a cow - must be a myth then

9. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, and it may be that way with some cows. Our first Jersey ever was an ex dairy cow with a ATTITUDE. But she was wonderful for us kids to milk. When our town cousins would come over, they would all three squat down, grab a teat and start pulling. I'd get done with my alotted teat and then milk theirs....... :rolleyes: Ginger was a good old Jersey.... :)

10. PygmyLover

I want a cow one day. Well I want A LOT of things! lol