Goat Question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Bluebutterfly, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Bluebutterfly

Bluebutterfly Well-Known Member

Someone told me that it is possible that when you give your goat a CD/T shot they can have an allergic reaction to the shot. I was told that if this happens you are supposed to inject them with something. Does anyone know what that stuff is and where I can purchase it online?
    Thanks,
    Bluebutterfly

2. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

You inject them with epinephrin. I got mine at the feed store. If you wish to order it online, Hoegger has it. www.thegoatstore.com

3. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

Hoegger no longer carries it, even though it is still in their catalog, they will credit your account instead-due to regulations w/meth labs-most are no longer allowed to sell it. I got 2 cc's from my vet, just too have on hand-he advised AGAINST using it-said it usually causes more deaths than the reaction would have..i have NEVER had a reaction, in all the yearsi've given injections..they can technically have reaction too ANY injection..i have always had epinephrin on hand just in case..never had too use it. :shrug:
    (thankfully) :eek:

4. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

Epinephrine is now an RX only. You have to get it from your vet or you need a prescription to get it online.

5. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Cd/T vaccines or any vaccine, dehorning, disbudding, sometimes even just trimming a skiddish goat's hooves can cause them to go into shock. Anytime you do one of these activities it is wise to have a couple ccs of epinephrine on hand to give them just in case they fall down, or start shaking or have a problem in direct relation to whatever you are doing to them. Also, Cd/T vaccines can often cause a sore, abscessed area at the injection site. Be sure to cleans the area well with an alcohol soaked cotton ball, always use a new needle and be as sterile as you possibly can when giving injections, just like you were at your doctor's office. To avoid this "sore" some people give an injection of Cd and then give a separate injection at a different site of the Tetanus. Some give the Cd twice a year and the Tetanus only once a year. I, myself only give the Cd/T once a year, about 3 weeks before the kids are due.
    Christine Edwards
    Cotton Eyed Does