goat quesiton

Discussion in 'Goats' started by famer_manda, May 9, 2005.

1. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

I was thinking of getting goats or sheep. Im trying to figure out what is most feasible to raise and also what is most friendly to young children. I want something that isn't too expensive to raise but something I could get my money back out of in one way or another. Either by breeding and selling the young or if they are goats then I could get milk and cheese and stuff out of it.

I have lots of learning to do befoer I ever get as far as to buy something. I really would love advice.

2. Oceanrose

Oceanrose Driftin' Away

You sounds like me LOL.

I've decided to get a couple milk goats, probably next year at this point. I'll start out with standards but plan to work on either kinder goats or mini nubians. I'm also getting some angora goats, and a pygora or 2. Which brings me to thing # 2. I'm starting a fiber flock of sheep. I'm getting a few fiber sheep of different breeds. All will be wethers (as will the angora goats), and a llama. Eventually I'd love an alpaca but I'll work up to that. I'll hand process the wool into different forms, and some I'll spin myself, hand dye etc. It will be fun, and ideally it'll pay for their feed.

Sheep seem flightier, but, any prey animal needs to learn to trust you. I find something incredibly cute about both. Just teach good handling skills to everyone involved.

3. TotalGoatLover

TotalGoatLover New Member

I can highly recommend dairy goats. Most kids are bottle fed and extremely friendly. All my goats come to the gate for attention whenever someone enters the barn. The kids are playful and extremely fun to watch. You can make cheese, soap and lotion out of the milk. If you have enough goats, you can sell the milk to a dairy. There is always a high demand for goat milk. You can advertise the milk to families whose children have an intolerance for cow's milk. They are great for keeping pasture land mowed too.

We have just over 30 Alpine goats and love them all. Alpines, LaManchas and Toggenburgs have very gentle dispositions. Nubians can be a little stubborn and harder to handle. They also have a tendancy to pick a favorite person and behave only for them. Goats also make a wonderful 4-H project for children.

4. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

Sometimes too friendly is worse than slightly standoffish. 200# of lap goat can be rough on little ones expecially if that is multiplied by a few more ;) . I have had bottle baby dairy wethers, commercial meat goats and hair sheep with the kids. All have been great, even the buck :D . I would not tolerate bad behavior from any animal though :no: .

5. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We also have Alpines; love them very much. LaManchas are friendly too. As for sheep, we like Dorset for their personality. Good for kids. Watch the male of any animal you get; they can kill when the girls are in season. We had our ram knock my DH down and almost put me on the ground too.

6. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

Where is the best place to buy a goat? People dont have them listed in the paper and I dont have any "contacts" around here. I know someone but they are 1 1/2 hrs away and I would rather find something closer plus they really dont have much of an option anyways lol.

There was a lady I knew once upon a time had goats that she sold 5 bucks each.. a pregnant one for 10 but that was 3 years ago. They had a petting zoo and just had an abundance of animals and they sold everything for 5 bucks each. But I dont know if she would likely have anymore.

7. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

Where are you?
    IMO goats would be better if you wanted an animal to interact with. For the most part goats will seek out people for scritches and food; sheep come only if you supply plenty of corn or some other goody and leave when it is gone. :haha:

8. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I would recommend getting dairy goats as they are less flighty than sheep. Sheep seem to have a stronger instinct to band together and run than goats. Goats seem more personable in my experience. However, the only breed of sheep i have ever raised was Barbados. The rams were very aggressive and would knock an adult down quite brutally if they had a running start. They never made the pets that goats did. I have had several different breeds of dairy goats and now have settled on LaManchas. Their temperment is very nice and they are good producers of milk. Nubians have a loud voice that i just can't endure. I had Alpines that were just fine also. If you want to make money on the offspring, start with Registered stock. The intial expense is worth it and you will have a better market for you offspring. You don't have to register everything, in fact you shouldn't in my opinion, only your finest animals. Go to the ADGA wbsite for info. (The American Dairy Goat Association). Subscribe to a publication such as the American Dairy Goat Journal for sources of good stock. You will have to disbud and tattoo if you raise registered stock. If you are not interested in any of this, then just start looking around your area via small newspapers and buy good sound goats of any breed, or crossbreeds. In our area, the American Classifieds often have goats for sale and is not only in hardcopy but is also online. Expect to pay at least $100. for a good goat that milks really well unless someone has a need to disperse their herd quickly for a reason. Make sure that reason isn't disease. Make sure the udder is of good type if you are going into this for milking. A registered goat with a poor udder is not worth the paper the pedigree is printed on. A mixed blood goat with a poor udder is no better. I won't buy a goat unless I have seen the mother in milk and see what her udder looks like. And the same for the buck. Don't breed to a buck unless you know what his mother's udder is like as his genes will affect his daughters. He could ruin your whole herd by throwing daughters with little tiny udders with little tiny teats. If you are going into meat goats, different criteria would apply. Just don't buy the first goats you see because they are cheap. They all have to eat, be wormed and recieve medical treatment. Start with something you will not be sorry you bought on impulse. And stay away from auctions, they harbour disease. ...Diane

9. TWOGOATS

TWOGOATS Animal Lover

In my personal experience, Alpines tend to be nicer than LaManchas, but I only have one adult Alpine doe and one LaMancha doe to compare with. The LaMancha is a real stinker, but she didn't get much human contact other than the time it took her to drink her bottle.

Got to go! I will say more when I get back on.