Goat Proof Fence Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by rwt, Apr 28, 2005.

1. rwt

rwt Member

Is there anything that approaches this that is not prohibitively expense and still feasible to build?
    thanks in advance

2. mtnmom208

mtnmom208 Well-Known Member

I have been doing some research lately on goats. I do not have any yet, but I read something today that might be useful to you. Goats won't jump a fence that they can't see through, 5-6 feet tall is plenty. That could be expensive unless you have salvage access. Pallets, tin roofing, old barn or shed wood........ugly but effective.
    You can also make a yoke out of a strong, forked branch. It trains them to stop sticking their heads through every little space.
    If all else fails, you can find yummy recipes for the ones you can't get under control!
    :haha:

3. glenberryfarm

glenberryfarm Well-Known Member

We pasture goats and sheep together. I highly recommend going electric. If powered right, they aren't going anywhere. Compare prices and you can see that electric is a lot cheaper too.

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

We use a standard 5 foot woven wire, then on the inside about a foot away from the woven wire we run three strands of electric, they hit the electric if they try to get to the woven, it is very effective, the only tim the goats escape is when tiny, the smallest kid goes through a small gap in the door, then Mama knocks the door down! and all the goats wander.......... We do herd our goats about once a week, let them down by the creek to forage on all the greens, they enjoy the treat.

5. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

We used horse woven wire at least 5 ft. We had tried 5 strands of electric barbwire and they walked through it. So, we ended up with the horse fence. So far, it has worked well.
    tnborn

6. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i use woven wire and 2 strands of electric in the main paddock, and 4 strands of HOT electric in the fields. been working fine for over a year now. course, this is goats we are talking about, and i could find them wandering down the road any minute.:)

7. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Woven wire and 2 strands of electric keep my goats from going through, under, or over the fence. It's the gate latches I can't keep them from figuring out. The buggers are smart! I actually use a padlock because they can't pick the lock (yet).

8. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Cattle panels -- with full-sized goats, you'd probably want to add a strand of electric wire offset, and another at the top. Mine are smaller, and normally only get out when they are small enough to squeeze through the holes I cut to give them access to the water buckets outside the pens. (Water buckets inside with the goats will quickly get fouled, and they will not drink fouled water. Either you'll be changing water all the time, several times a day, or they won't be getting enough to drink, driving milk production down. Even if you are raising meat goats, they have to produce milk to feed their babies, so you want to keep the milk production up.)

Kathleen

9. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

This probably isn't very easy, it was here when we moved in, but i thought it might be good to mention

My goats are mostly in a "dog run" and they have never gotten out of there. The fencing is about 5 feet tall, and the fence's squares are only about 2 by 4.5. The fence is kept up by those round fence posts. My goats rub their sides all over the fence and we've never had a problem. Of course, now that I have said something, they'll escape! :haha: The fence keeps the chickens in too!

If you can find some fencing like that and I am sorry that I don't know the correct terminology for it, and you could secure it well enough, it would probably work pretty well. I did see some at a local supply store for about 50.00 for 100 feet!

10. BubbleTea

BubbleTea Active Member

electric is the only thing that has worked for us.....one strand at the bottom of the wooden fence. :yeeha: