Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some Weathers that are mixed breed from a dairy in Yellville. I am getting ready to sell them, and i have heard prices everywhere frfom $40.00 to $100.00. Does anyone have any experience in North West Arkansas selling Goats.

·
Registered
747 Posts
just north of harrison , cattlemans auction yard has a goat sale monday mornings
soundsl ike your price range is right, assuming from a dairy, they are dairy wethers, which means more likely in the 20-40.00 range
were they boers or boer crosses, you would be getting more...

·
Registered
110 Posts
We sold there at the special goat sale in early June, we actually did well, got $1.10 per pound for 40# kids. I haven't checked the prices lately to see if they are still holding well. You could try looking at the usda sites for auctions to see how the prices in this region are holding to get an idea. I have long lost the link.

Bernice

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be happy with a $1.10 a lb these guys were born late March to early April. I will have to get the scale out but I am sure all but 1 are over 50lbs.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sounds like they are pretty growthy kids. The auction is Monday like bethlaf mentioned, heres hoping the prices are still holding.

Bernice

·
Registered
136 Posts
If I remember correctly, Ramadan is coming up soon - October 16th?? If that is indeed the case, prices should be very good! Get em to auction tomorrow or you'll miss the "Holiday" sale.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got $46.00 a head. or slightly under a $1.00 a lb. it was better than the aution barn thought they would bring. So I guess I did OK

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yankee 1: You did pretty good! Wish it had been better for you. That goat sale in June there that we sold ours at brought good prices, I plan on selling next yr too at that sale if I have any bucks, which I am sure we will.

Bernice

·
Registered
136 Posts
Now you've got a year to look around and see if you can find any local buyers. Depending on where you are, there is probably an ethnic family that would love to buy direct from the farmer (if this is the route you'd like to take your business). If you're open to allowing them to slaughter on your place you can do very well. They use almost all of the animal! I have a couple of customers that come once a year or so and they make somekind of delicacy out of the stomach and intestines. It was quite the learning experience. I enjoyed the "anatomy" of the entire experience but, politely declined a "sample" of the delicacy at some point in the future!! :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts