Goat Pox?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by LamiPub, Nov 13, 2006.

1. LamiPub

LamiPub Ami

Got a goat for mil at a sale on Oct. 21st(i know i know...new to this and will not repeat..live and learn eh) Needed one already milking, small looks like nubianx, nice udder, looked clean and healthy. Milked nice at first. Well a few days (about 2 to 4 days) after brought her home she had a few blisters around one teat. Then the teat became scabby. Experienced neighbors and vet (just per phone call) said it was goat pox. After about 2 wks the one teat cleared up. Wormed all the goats. Still keeping her separate/indoors. Now the other teat is covered with scabs and they are even going up the teat to udder. The sad part is she is now "upset" about being milked and kicks and bucks. Will see the vet on Tuesday but was wondering if anyone had some advice or similar experience and how they handled it. Of course I feel horrible and repsonsible since I got the goat and have been paying for everything even considering bringing Maddy home with us if I can convice the Mr. I understood the goat pox should be gone now not spreading that three weeks is passed. Anyone input would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. crowinghen

crowinghen Well-Known Member

Maybe it's a staph infection-- whatever it is be very careful about hygeine just in case it's something contagious to you or your other goats. What is her milk like? Any temperature?
    Susie

3. LamiPub

LamiPub Ami

Um.....can you tell me how you take a goat's temp and with what kind of thermometor? And what is the norm for a goat's temperature. I am sorry if I sound like a complete idiot. So new to all this but really want to start raising milk goats in the near future.

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

There is no goat pox in the USA...if your goat had goatpox they would come and get her an quaranteen your herd :) It's likely enviornmental staph. Vets and jefferspet.com you can buy this stuff called chlorhexiderm...it's a blue liquid...it is wonderful to use on stuff like this, it is a moisturings disenfectant...better than bleach on something like this becaue it is nonchapping to the skin although it is very drying to the staph. I keep mine in a spray bottle and use it for everything...dogs and goats. Vicki

5. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

you can go to the pharmacy and buy baby lotion with zinc in it, the type you use for diaper rash. this will help clear it up very fast.
    it also very important to keep her bedding dry and clean.
    the normal temp for a goat is 101 to 104 and you messure her temp rectal with a normal houshold thermometer :)
    good luck

6. LamiPub

LamiPub Ami

Mother in law says her milk didn't strain yesterday morning but was fine day before and that night. Still haven't taken her temp. Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate this. I had googled goat pox and what I found on was like what you said, that it was not in USA and was a very serious and had to be reported so I guess many around here have just termed something else with "goat pox" and it is some other disease. Will ask the vet and also thanks for the tip on the chlorhexiderm. My mother in laws husband was a farm vet but passed over twenty years ago. I never knew him but she asked me to ask the vet for some purple medicine you spray externally but she didn't know the name. I bet that it is chlorhexiderm. I am so glad you gave me the name for it. Thanks again!!!!

7. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

8. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

9. LamiPub

LamiPub Ami

The vet looked her over and gave her tetnus shot today. Also had her dehorned because she kept getting stuck in the fence. :( She did really well actually but it was kinda hard for me to put her through it anyway. My oldest son trimmed her hooves after vet showed him how. When the vet looked her over the udder was clearing up but he still says from the description and time period it was goat pox. I asked him why they called it that when it wasn't the "goat pox" I read about. He says it is just what folks call it likely because it is so like cow pox and explained like people still calling maggots screw worms even though they aren't and we haven't had screw worms in the US in decades. Just a society "slang" thing. It is actually the sore mouth virus. She is pretty much cleared up but we are still keeping her separated and washing hands after handling her etc. We do need to disinfect the area she has been in and the milking stall. Any ideas of the best way to disinfect the milking station. At this time no other goats are being milked but want to be sure and clean it all up as one is bred and worried about her and kids when they are born. Thanks.