Goat Polio? seems to be winning

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jcran, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Little buckling not getting better; this morning he was walking/staggering in huge loops around the pen. This is the worst I've seen him...the thiamine and antibiotics just aren't working. Its been 20 something days. I am thinking that this afternoon I'll be skipping the baby shower for our kinder teacher and taking him in to be put down. He's just been through so much. For awhile there I thought he was getting better but no...I am soooo sad and a little nervous too. I have read so much about neurologic problems that I am starting to think too much about rabies. Anyhow, just too much running around my head. Anyone out there want to assure me he isn't rabid? I could sure use some good news... and/or valium.

2. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

I do not know if you read this site or not on goat Goat Polio and Listeriosis. This is a great site.
    GOATWORLD

Now on rabies in goats they have these signs.
    Rabies in sheep, goats and cattle

Rabies is characterised by the animals becoming restless and excited. They may bite themselves and saliva drips from the mouth. The most important sign in cattle is that the animal bellows (calls) very frequently and with strange sound. The animals will become paralysed and die.

I'm sorry your having such a hard time. I will be praying for you and your little goat.

3. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

What about meningeal worm?

I'm sorry for the both of you.

4. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

That's what I was wondering too fishhead. The neurilogical signs still so strong and the fact he isn't getting any better in the time span he was treated and hasn't died yet(sorry) has me thinking the same thing.

Tracy

5. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Well, my neighbor brought him to the vets to be put down; she's the one who bought him from me, and bless her soul, gave him his lunchtime dose of thiamine and penG. The vet's looking at him right now...I am hoping that there is some miracle answer. I am not sure what kind of deer we have around here- any other Californians out there? They are small and about as big as big Alpine goats, I'd venture to say.

6. fishhead

Probably blacktails but I think CA has muley's too.

I've got my fingers crossed.

7. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Vet just called; said 75% sure its just a really bad case of polio; that enough cell degeneration had occured despite the efforts, so that he'd probably never be normal. Made the awful decision to put him down AND pay for the full autopsy of the brain. Even my neighbor said he was A LOT worse today. Anyhow, at least he's not in pain, and we'll know for sure what exactly happened. It was a huge learning experience for me. I keep coming back to the 40%dimethoxy. I worry that the 1cc/10lb weight was too strong. I also read that some folks keep it at 1/2 cc twice a day for 5 days. Would anyone care to weigh in on that? I am really glad that we have next week off....I just want to crawl under the covers for a long time :Bawling:

8. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Don't know about the 40% drug to comment. But polio is tough to cure, so don't beat yourself up about it. Just wanted to offer my condolences. I think we've all been there - it's heart-breaking and simply the stress you've been under, on top of the outcome is taking a big emotional/physical toll. Give yourself sometime to grieve and recover. I'm most anxious to see the necropsy results.

9. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

I will definitely share them with y'all; my neighbor said that while at the vets today he was drooling. That was a new one. This morning it was 5 a.m. when I fed, as I had to get to school to set up for our class feast so all I saw was the stumbling about. The vet said with holiday week comin' up, UCDavis may not get the results back very quickly. I'm sure hoping that's not the case.

10. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

bump: just got the call...estimate of 350-450 dollars for the autopsy, fedex and tests. If that's not an advertisement for probios when dosing then I don't know what is.

11. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Jcran
    I'm so sorry to hear that your little goat had to be put down. You done all you could at least now the little goat is playing at the rainbow bridge with all other pets. I will be praying for you and sending hugs your way from our place to yours.

God Bless You! :)

12. fishhead

I sorry to hear you lost the fight. No one can say you didn't give it your best but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

It looks to me that there are enough goats in this country to justify the research needed to develop the blood tests needed to positively identify some of the more common diseases. Other countries with a longer history of goat raising probably have already done some of the research so it would be a matter of transferring the knowledge to the US.