Goat Pet Milk in Ohio

Discussion in 'Goats' started by holsteintater, Jun 14, 2005.

1. holsteintater

holsteintater Well-Known Member

Just curious as to how difficult it is to sell pet milk in Ohio. If you do it, what regulations must you follow, do you need to have special equipment, etc.?

ETA: Is this something that you have to claim on your income taxes? I'm wondering about all aspects of this because I don't want to overcomplicate my life! :)

I called the Dept. of Agriculture and there is just NO way around legally purchasing raw milk for human consumption. And since I'll have extra milk after we get our does, I can't see just pouring it down the drain, I guess I'll sell it as pet milk. I would much rather a human get it than a dog but I guess that's not okay in Ohio. :bash:

2. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Last I heard they were no longer issueing pet liscences for raw milk in Ohio and there is talk of revoking the ones already in place. There is currently a struggle, in regards to raw milk, here in Ohio.

Some meeting is coming up where that will be a big topic under discussion.
    A couple of groups you might check out are OhioWAPF on Yahoo! Groups and OhioGoats on Yahoo! Groups as well.

3. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

Have you thought about and end run around this. If you have someone interested in your milk, can you lease them your doe, and then as part of the lease agreement , you milk and care for the doe, the client simply picks up the milk from "their doe" as needed.

4. holsteintater

Yes, but unfortunately even animal share programs are illegal in Ohio. :waa: It's so hard to get good quality food sometimes!

5. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

Where can you find these laws? Are they online anywhere?

6. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

how can that be illegal? you can board a goat for somebody else that is not illegal. you can also milk for some body else. somebody can make a donation for your farm i think thats not illegal either. you can give your milk away. is that illegal?
    susanne

7. Julia

Julia Well-Known Member

It is in West Virginia.

And there are laws against subverting laws, which is what these animal share programs are---a subversion of the Pasteurized Milk Ordinance. Whether or not your local district attorney decides to pursue the matter is another thing, but they can if they wish.

8. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

It's pretty bad when the state allows the sale of tabacco for human use but forbids an individual of their choice and RIGHT to purchase raw milk privately for their own use.
    I just think that's unconstitutional....the pursuit of happiness....or something. :no:
    Cripe, is it illegal to drink raw milk from your own animals too??

9. holsteintater

Actually, you can drink the raw milk from your own animal. LOL But I couldn't give any away to my MIL or neighbor. *Sigh* Ohio is very strict about it - there is no way to purchase raw milk to drink. I don't understand why I cannot buy a product labelled as "pet milk" and drink it w/o breaking the law! It's so frustrating to me! I spoke with someone about it at the Ohio Dept of Agric. Dairy division.

http://www.ohioagriculture.gov/pubs/divs/dary/curr/laws/Dairy Division Laws.pdf

917.05 is supposed to explain all of this, at least according to the guy I spoke with. But I totally did not interpret it the way he did. :confused:

10. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

how about buying or selling milk for making soap?
    susanne

11. dosthouhavemilk

Not sure on that, but my guess would be that it would have to be pastuerized in that case
    I was excited to do a goat share program, even had people in a nearby town interested...already had customers, then I went searching for the legalities of it all and found out that it isn't possible. Then with the pet liscences, just about pointless to have dairy goats...
    We still have our goats, but now we have our Dairy Inspector breathing down our necks everytime he sees the goats near the milking barn. We have a Grade A cow dairy and they started cracking down on the dairy farmers who were shipping goat's milk with their cow's milk (Nubians are quite close in test to Jerseys). We weren't doing that, but our Inspector starting asking about our goats since they started cracking down.

Doesn't matter. There are no rules that say I can't house goats and kids in our milking barn! So they will kid in the milking barn again this winter. He will just have to deal with it.

It's all up in the air and hopefully something will be done. There are some good people hard at work about this.

12. .Marie.

.Marie. Registered Human

I know very little about goats, but this thread caught my eye as I have been wanting to buy some fresh goat milk to try making cheese....
    is there no where at all in Ohio where I could buy some?

(I am in central Ohio)

13. dosthouhavemilk

There are, just not legally. :haha:

Seriously. There are some places. If you go to the OhioWAPF group on Yahoo! Groups and post that you are looking for some goat's milk, someone may contact you offlist.

14. red_lynn

red_lynn Active Member

Here's a link that may help. It's cow specific, but I don't think that most states differentiate between cows and goats when it comes to selling your milk. http://www.realmilk.com/ This has the regulations for all 50 states. I hope it helps someone.