Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another thread I mentioned my goats "help" with oil changes & some fellow goat-ees said "show us pix!". Since this is a skill I ought to learn, here goes...

This should be Jack, my 2 year old wether, checking under the hood.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And a few yearling milking does helping under the truck. Left to right, butts belong to Raisin, Cheerio, and Elsa.

The big does were on the other side of the barn, eating a downed jack pine. We had a hard wind yesterday and a few blow-downs. In the world of goat, eating a tree takes precedence over oil changes.

BTW, this truck is the one my milk tester told me I could have for $0 if I could make it run. About $300 in parts and it's now my daily driver. Thanks Sandi!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Great pictures. :) Be careful with the oil. I have a doe who once helped herself to about a pint of motor oil. She passed oil along with her berries for a week! :eek:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's no drinking of oil allowed! I use a large non-return funnel and a gas can, not the traditional oil drain pan. Six years in a strict OSHA car dealership taught me something :)

Just crawling under the truck usually gets most of the does under there with me. I did a lot of work on a previous truck & we all know how those bottle babies want to do whatever we're doing.

·
when in doubt, mumble.
2,025 Posts
Too funny! You're goats need to meet up with mine and teach them some of their mechanical skills. Mine need to start earning their keep!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Mine don't do oil changes, but my buck Zorro helps with chores. While building a gate for their pen, he handed my DH pieces of wood. All my DH had to do was point to the piece and he would pick it up. Just this morning I was clearing out a spot to lay pallets for the hay and he came over and picked up the bucket full of rocks and carried it to his pen where I was making a nice rock pile for them to climb on. Goats are smarter than most people give them credit for. It can also get them into LOTS of TROUBLE!!!

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
LOLOL!

Oh AnnaS, you are so MEAN, though! Those goats should be provided a rolling mechanic's creeper to slide under that vehicle!

Heheheheheh...

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
Starsmom said:
Just this morning I was clearing out a spot to lay pallets for the hay and he came over and picked up the bucket full of rocks and carried it to his pen where I was making a nice rock pile for them to climb on.
Wish my girls would have done that yesterday when I was hauling buckets of rocks! Need to have a talk with them!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.