Goat names

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kazahleenah, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

I've had many goats (and horses, dogs, cats etc) all named. In the spring, I'm fixin to get two doelings and a buckling. Anyone care to toss some names my way? Every time I try to think of some nice names, my brain either goes dry or it's a name I've already used. (not that the goat would know that). Anyway, I thought this would be an intresting thread...

Kaza

2. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I usually wait and try to get to know the animal first, get an idea of its personality :p . Then I have a look in a book of baby names - really! Our new goat is Polly, the others are Bronwyn, Bridget, Sara (she came with it) and Angel. Haven't named the Squeaky Toys yet.

Do you have a theme, or a preference, like Celtic names, names that begin with the letter Q . . . .

3. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I do the same thing...I wait until the animal pretty much names itself. My goats have long registered names (well up to the allowed 30 letters and spaces that is), but they're kind of fun sometimes. Patriot Gotcha Greta got her name because I had to take her to work with me the day she was born, so I could bottle feed her and she kept sliding off the seat of the truck....hence "gotcha Greta".
    Get the goats first, then stare at them a while until they either get in your face wondering what you're up to or they come up with their own names.
    Ruth

4. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

Well, let's see.... I've had dog lines named after "drinks"... (Signature's Sherry Schnapps, Signature's Pina Colada, etc)

I've done the goats before with letters, all the babies from each doe had names that started with the same letter as the doe. (Daisy gave birth to Dolly, Dana and Dawn... etc)

I've done themes 'per goat'... Hope gave birth to Faith and Love for instance.

Since I don't plan to have THAT many goats again (77 milkers)... I am thinking I can just have fun with the names this time... I used those other methods as a way to help me know at a glance who was who's and what lines etc they were.

I just think it would be fun to hear ideas ya'll have for names. Most of my "pets" did get their names when they named themselves. (Copper was named for the color her coat turned when the sun hit it "chocolate lab") and El`Mar (arabian horse... was nicknamed "Elmer (for the glue factory) by my X when he came to us as a badly abused horse with a definate attitude. (understandibly so)... when we got close, and I decided to keep him, I changed Elmer to El`Mar so it sounded a bit more regal and arabic. ;)

Kaza

5. Oscar

Oscar Well-Known Member

Here is a smattering of some of my animals names: Rooney, Chompy, Gertrude, Helga, Olga, Alice, Henrietta, Mable, Ethel, Dottie, Sid, Gus, Rufus, Odell, Marcell, Eudell, Clovis, JellyBean, Frisky, Cutie Katie, Rocky, Harry, Chester, HennyPenny, Rita, Rhonda, Marcy, Spot, Greta, Miss Muffet, Grover, Viola, Lucy, Flossie, Ruby, Rosie, Get Back Here ("Ge-backy" for short), Josie, Barney, Claudette, Tippy, Stripe, George, Ivan, Macaroni, Romeo, Sludge, Crusty, Captain Chaos, Chubs, Surley, Sir Barks-a-Lot and Sly...

6. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I've found that names tend to evolve with time. We had a cat started out as "The Black Knight", went to "Le Chevalier Noir" to "Maurice" (Chevalier). :p One of my cats went from "Max" to "Maximillian Alexander Rottensocks, Lord Baddington" - the Alexander is cuz he's a little Klingon.

7. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

You just name them all "Goat", then you yell, "Goats", and they all come running. My girls used to get so very angry at me because they would name our goats, but I could never think that fast, and none answered to their real name anyway, yet when I yelled the generic goat call, they would all come running...I know a guy who named his dog, "Dog". I thought that was adorable. Deb

8. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

My does are called Elizabeth Ann and Annabelle May. My new little Saanen/La mancha whether is called Legolas after the elf in the Lord Of The Rings, cause he's got such cute little ears. We usually pick names on the way home with the critter or they just seem to choose their own after we get to know them some.
    Chicken's names are:
    Sam (the Roo)
    Dark Meat
    Red
    Crimson
    Spot
    White Meat (AKA Leghorn)
    Stevie
    Condoleezza
    Carolyn
    Two-Tone
    Katrina
    Rita
    Stormy
    Autumn

Have fun!

9. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Really........all my goats answer to their individual names, even the babies are learning already.

Ruth

10. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

No, I am sure it was just me, and I couldn't their names all straight. They weren't supposed to have been my goats, but they soon became so, if you know what I mean.

11. gryndlgoat

gryndlgoat Well-Known Member

We haven't been all that creative- gone with a Sweet theme pretty much. Sugar, a white Saanen mix and her all white sons (The Sugar Twins) Splenda and Sweet'n Lo, then Taffy (taffy colored nubian mix) and her daughters Licorice (black with Toggenburg markings) and Sundae (looks like vanilla ice cream with a stripe of chocolate sauce down her back). Our buck is Badger, a Toggenburg, his markings reminded us of a badger- he's the daddy to this year's four youngsters and hopefully more this spring.

ps- all our goats know and answer to their own names, but also all come running to "Goats!!!!!"

12. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

The 2 year olds:
    Swan- the goat in Heidi
    Susu- a childhood friend with the same color hair. And eventually a beard too.
    Trinity came with her name.

Yearling
    Trixie- after my grandpa's favorite goat

This year's babies. Their daddy is Starbuck, his dam is Star of Jasmine, everyone's a *M or *B on his side... went with a star theme.
    Twinkle Twinkle- which totally suits her
    Cygni- Swan's daughter, the star in the Swan constellation
    Supernova- her mom also has "star" in her name & sire's name

AND Tomato (aka Knotneer MRS You Say Tomato) which was a bribe to get my sister to milk for me one more time. She could name a kid whatever she wanted. On the plus side, this has inspired a couple of sing-alongs at the show check-ins.

Using 3 different bucks this year...
    Starbuck babies will get another round of star names- Spangle, Lightbright, Sparkle.
    This year's kids are going to Ranger Jackpine, might go with a MN theme like True North, Polka Time, and Hot Dish. Tomato is going to Jackpine too, but I might start a song that gets stuck in your head line... Fly (with Me) or Ticket (to Ride) or the worst ever, (C Is For) Cookie.
    Trinity is going to a Nuclear buck, and will hopefully have an Atom Bomb.

13. goatgang

goatgang Well-Known Member

Our goats are Duke & Annabelle. Duke came with the name - his sibling was Luke. Their names have evolved to Buke & Bella.

Our cats are Dillon Aka Dill pickle -now just Pick,Shakespeare, Gideon, Charlie , Luke, Lulu, Elsa, Missy( newest arrrival name may change),& Moe. We usually give them real names instead of naming for their coloring like Patches or Blackie.

When I fostered cats I would have the same letter theme for litters. The "C" litter was Catfish, Curry, Chloe & Cricket.

14. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

we are
    tango (horse)
    Truman ( mule)
    Fiona ( donkey )
    Pygmalion, Pyg for short, the hog
    Laverne and Shirley are my does
    the kids are Spring,Bo, Wrongway. Buster and shyanne ( bubbles for short)
    Dogs are KC,bubba, Ali, Toby, Peppy

cats are Little, bailey, Blue and Naked- queen of the universe

ducks, geese and chickens for the most part remain unnamed

15. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Use the names of the characters from your favorite TV show. Our doelings are Suzanne and Julia. Julia was born first and is much more dignified and Suzanne is just a little plumper and much louder and was the first to come into heat. When we get a buckling, we'll probably name him either Dash or Anthony (in one episode he was actually refered to as a "buck".) We look forward to having more goats so we can use up the rest of the names. Cute little Mary Jo and ditsy Charlene.

16. goatchops

goatchops Well-Known Member

i like the names skipper and puzzles*just some suggestions*

17. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I am a believer in fancy names for goats---but like others have said, sometimes the goats just name themselves!
    Our first three goats are named Serafina, Chrysanthemum, and Esmerelda.
    We recently got 3 new goats, the two babies we named Blossom and Fawn. Fawn just looks so much like a gentle little deer that the name came unbidden.
    The thrid one is a pregnant doe who came already named: "Butterscotch." We happened to like the name and didn't change it.
    A cute goat name I heard recently: Lentil.
    We had an acquantance who gave her goats musical names, "Grace Note" Sixteenth Note" and other names that I can't remember. My friend named her goats Jethro, Daisy, Lily and so on...I thought of Skittles the other day.
    We had a baby chick that we named King Tut. He pecked eyes viciously from 1 day old and on. He actually looked like a punk. He exuded attitude. We had him in his own box and he would sit on his food to defend it from all comers---only there were no others! When you picked him up he would try like heck to peck the dickens out of you. We laughed a lot just looking at him. When they were finally put in the coop, though, he was fine. He actually might be a she. It is a straight run batch of White Sultans and we can't tell the roosters from the hens yet. We can't tell which one is King Tut anymore, either.
    I call our rooster Casanova.
    Have fun! Jill

18. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I like weird names: Pietta, Patille Mirfara, Merida, Elosha Taloura, Wilomina, Zein, Zosia, Miznik, Jedda, Dormae,

19. Merrique

Merrique Well-Known Member

Let's see...

My current goats are Maggie, Callie, Jenny, Tara, Sweetie, Noah, Mae, Meggie, a buck i just bought named Tiberius. My sheep are Sancho, Maria, Evie, and Dora. Some of my other goat names have been Ava, Caesar, Julius, Louie, Samson, Sultan, Maia, Heidi, Flynn, Lilly, Molly, Sugar, Gypsy, Shane, Lucius, Roman, Zoey, Silver, Faith, Hope, Chance, Dolly, Pollyanna, Nellie, and Ulysses. I have two dogs, one named Troy and the other Rushton JoJo Walker O'Reilly (Reilly). My cats are Jonny and Maximus(DH calls him Maximus Scrotumless since he has been neutered). My pet raccoon's name is Sly.
    Usually I just watch them until a name comes to me, other time's my kids have named them.

20. Loisp

Loisp Active Member

Our current goats are named:
    Snow White (she's the queen)
    10 (she had the no. 10 on a tag when we got her.)
    24 (same reason as 10.)
    Patch
    Sunny
    Gracie
    Gimli (our billy named after the dwarf on Lord of the Rings. I wanted to call him Aragorn but that's just too hard to say.)
    Jessie
    Chocolate
    Reba
    Sasha
    Bandy
    Sandy
    Zena
    Speckle