Goat milking less

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Cheryl in SD, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

My nubian is drying up! I have been milking her since Aug. 1, she kidded June 10. She was giving almost a gallon. Then she dropped to just over a 1/2 gallon in Sept. I tried to keep it up, but nothing I tried worked. Now this weekl she dropped to a quart. She appears healthy, doesn't have any sign of mastitis or other trouble. Any suggestions??

I thought maybe it was that most of her graze is gone, but we upped her feed as soon as the pasture was eaten down & she isn't eating it all (leaves a little of the alfalfa/hay).

TIA

2. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

Sounds like she may just not be from a "strong milking" line--what did she do last lactation? Could she be bred?? I would up her grain a bit, make sure i milked her out each time--post on acorns suggested they would drop production some--has she been eating them? (i know that oak leafs will drop production on my does)..how long has she been fresh-you should get 7-8 monthes out of a "mediocre" doe. Maybe Emily will answer> :)

3. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts Well-Known Member

Cheryl - It could be a couple of things. The drop this week may be due to the fact that she may be in heat. I would also try giving her a little extra grain to bring up her production. I always notice a little drop in production when the weather changes in the fall. Just make sure that she is getting enough water! Our water has been freezing over here in the morning - thick enough that I have had to break it out!! Some does just won't drink cold water. And with the cold snap coming this weekend, I think I am going to have to get out the heated waters!! Good luck and hope she does better!

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Is she bred?? Is your weather steady or has it been yo-yo-ing like ours??
    A lot of things can factor in a drop in milk production. With her dropping as you describe it could very well be that she has been accustomed to drying off at this time in past lactations and her clock is telling her its time. Or she may just come from rather crummy milking lines. I can see a good milking doe dropping off by this time of year, especially if they are bred, but only if she had been fresh since Jan-March. A doe fresh in June should have a bit more in her even at this time of year, unless she comes from short-lactation lines.
    But bred does tend to try and dry off. And acorns as mentioned above, will cause a drop in production. Also weather that bounces around. :rolleyes: And, and, and.....If you keep milking her and let her know that you don't intend to stop, she may start producing more in a couple months.
    Most of my girls are dropping production. Why?? They have been fresh since Jan-Feb. They are pigging out on acorns. They are all bred. Our weather has been up and down and up and down and......the last three days have been chilly and rainy. Take your pick of reasons why!! :p My girls are simply ready for a break. So am I so we will be drying everyone off by mid November preparing for next year.....
    Good luck with your girl. :)