goat milk yogurt recipe needed

Discussion in 'Goats' started by April Rain, Oct 28, 2005.

1. April Rain

April Rain Well-Known Member

I need an easy recipe for making goat milk yogurt. I just brought home a Nubian and now have more milk than we can drink! We love yogurt so I thought that would be a good use. Also, cottage cheese would be good.

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

3. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

I use Yogurmet (sp?) starter (I get it from the health food store). It is really easy to use- just heat milk to 180 deg, let it cool to 112 deg, add starter, pour milk into jars, incubate in a cooler for about 4-5 hours, then refrigerate. Dead simple and it works every time. My neighbor has milk goats and swears everyone she knows has trouble making goat milk yogurt. I gave her a packet of my starter and she loved it.

4. Trisha in WA

Trisha in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

Susanne,
    What a great site! Thank you for posting it. I can see I will spend alot of time looking at all the great recipies.
    Blessings

5. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

We LOVE LOVE LOVE the sweet yogurt starter from cheesemaking.com. It's really good. I add a little powdered milk when I add the starter and it's pretty thick when it's finished. Yummmmmm.

6. goatladie

goatladie JustALittleGoatCrazy....

7. goatladie

goatladie JustALittleGoatCrazy....

Debi, Couple questions 4 hours also on a heating pad? And as far as the additions is it sugar & vanilla instead of Jello? And do you still add the unflavored gelatin if you use the sugar/vanilla way or the Jello way?

8. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I am sorry, yes, I add a pinch of sugar to mine, if I am making vanilla, and some vanilla of course, or you cab add jello, to flavor it any flavor you want. all yogurt, must set up, so you can use a heating pad on low, you can play around with it. some, or set it in your warming oven, if yu have a wood cookstove, or pour, into a couple of really good thermas's, or into a yogurt maker, or just what ever you want to do. an let it be, for at least 4 hours, then taste, and you might want a more stronger tase, so if you do let, it sit longer, or if you want to add sugar, or more sugar, do it then, then put in fridge, to get cold and set up. for a firmness, i use unflavored gelaton, if not using jello. if you have any more questions, lease feel free to email me.