goat milk vs. cows milk

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by north4us, Oct 4, 2005.

1. north4us

north4us New Member

does goat milk taste like cow milk?

2. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

No, it tastes better! According to everyone in this family BUT dh! He grew up on fresh cow's milk and can't get used to goat's milk. For the rest of us, we LOVE IT.

If you take care of goat's milk, it is wonderful. If you don't, it is nasty. If you buy it from the store, it will be nasty. If you get if from a farm, taste test FIRST. Goat's milk is picky, you have to cool it right away, you MUST, MUST, MUST be extra sanitary. If you are sanitary, cool it right away and don't let it sit for a long time, it is the best. But let it start to turn, not use extra clean containers, or let it cool slowly, YUCK. HOWEVER, we did find that if you freeze the milk (say you had extra and it began to 'taste', about 3 days) the freezing process takes that taste right out. It also keeps for months frozen.

Cheryl

3. buspete

buspete Well-Known Member

goat milk doesn't leave that film in your mouth that cow's milk does

the stuff you see in the supermarket for $3 per quart does not compare at all to fresh milk

A local lady gave us some to try, and our goatkeeping adventure starts this weekend!

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Because of allergies (and access to free goat milk) my son was raised on it. He's 23 now and still says goat milk is much better than cow milk.

5. linn

linn Well-Known Member Supporter

I think it is what you are used to. We have a Jersey/Red Angus cross. Everyone who has tasted her milk says it is delicious. :cow:

6. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

We tried some powdered goats milk, and boy was it nasty.

Is that what you would expect, Cheryl?

thanks,

Rick

7. chas

chas Well-Known Member

I was raised on a dairy farm and always thought goat milk would taste like goat.WRONG I don't drink any store bought milk and have my own herd of goats now.when the last one dries up I will buy raw cows milk for a couple months.Mine start freshening in January/February.
    If you taste cow or goat it was poorly handled!!!!
    Oh goat milk makes for better smoother chocolate milk.
    Chas

8. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

not all cows milk is alike, store bought milk is not like fresh. jersey milk is not like holstien. every body in these parts prefers my gurls jersey juice ;)

9. ChiliPalmer

ChiliPalmer Well-Known Member

You might care to look at more factors than taste. By logic, a dairy animal will give you more than milk, it will also give meat for the table or breeding stock. Do you want breeding stock, and how might you profit from such a venture with goats? With cows? Do you prefer the taste of beef or chevon? You have to do something with the offspring, and if they won't be breeding stock for income, then you'll likely have to eat them (or sell them as meat, in which case you have to figure which has the better market in your area).

Will your pasture more readily support a cow or a goat? Their feed requirements are different.

Do you want butter?

Does your family have allergies?

Can you afford it if your one cow gets sick, needs a vet and then dies anyways? A goat is cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain and easier to replace if one dies.

How much milk do you need? If you had 1 quart, two quarts, a gallon per day then would it be enough? If you had five gallons a day, would you have to use it to water the garden just to get rid of it?

We looked at all of this and went with a cow. No allergies, don't like goat meat but love beef, the houses we're looking at have pure alfalfa pastures, and we can easily use gallons and gallons of milk every day.

10. All country

All country Well-Known Member

Currently our family is enjoying fresh cows milk from a friend. We have 5 milk goats, but they are currently dry. We can hardly wait for them to begin freshening in Feb. As much as we are appreciating getting the fresh cows milk we would prefer fresh milk from our goats.

Like another poster said, a lot is in how the milk is handled, but the taste will vary from animal to animal. When we go to check out a doe, I will take a cup with me and try her milk before we buy.

Goats milk does make the greatest chocolate milk. Even plain it doesn't leave an after taste in the mouth.

If you want to make butter you will have to get a manual or electric cream separator. It's a bit of a hassle, but worth it. If we have fresh made butter from cows milk and fresh made butter from goats milk, my family will always choose the butter from goats milk first.

You can do anything with goats milk that you can do with cows milk.

Store bought, powdered or canned goats milk is bad enough to make anyone gag!

11. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

It has been my experience that cow's milk is much more forgiving than goat's milk. If the goat's milk is handled properly, as stated above, and the goat is fed properly, I can't tell any difference for the first three days. After that, I don't care how the goat was treated or how the milk was handled, I start to taste the "goat" in it. I can't tell any difference in the taste of cow's milk until it starts to sour.

I've raised goats, but I prefer the cows and cow's milk. But, that's the wonderful thing about homesteading. You can decide for yourself what you prefer and do it. That's why we have goats and cows; because some prefer one over the other.

12. MarkSykes

MarkSykes Well-Known Member

It tastes like cow's milk, but doesn't taste the same as cow's milk.

13. Rick

Thanks All Country. That was what I was hoping to hear, as it nearly made me gag.

Rick

14. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

We have dairy goats. The milk is good. CREAMY. We don't drink milk after its 2 days old...it gets fed to other critters...dog, chix, etc. We raised a sucker calf on goat milk last year....

However, if I had the money, pastureland I would also have a Jersey cow for butter mostly.

My goats are very tame easy to handle and will fit into a large dog kennel for transport if necessary. My children can easily handle them....even the bucks which helps me and teaches them.

Store goat milk tastes like kissing a wet buck goat in rut. YUCK!

Nomads in Siberia drink warm horse milk....I bet thats different.

15. MarkSykes

MarkSykes Well-Known Member

I presume you bought some goat's milk in a carton from a store. Yes, it's amazing how bad that tastes. Apparently that is nearly unavoidable as a result of the process the goat's milk undergoes on its way to the store, i.e., collection, cooling, shipping, flash heating and cooling again, packaging, some more warming/cooling cycles from being loaded onto reefers, loading docks and grocery bags.
    According to Producing Quality Goat Milk, such handling releases the goaty flavor:
    Although goat milk has a higher content of the strong smelling caproic, caprylic and capric acids in its milk fat, with good milking practices they are enclosed within the fat globule membrane. This membrane is, however, more fragile in goat milkfat than in cow milkfat, is easily broken during improper handling, insufficient cooling and repeated rewarming, and then enzymes are liberated that can produce odors. ​
    That's too bad for the goat dairyman, because law pretty much forbids raw milk sales (and that's another emotion-filled debate) and facility requirements are inhospitable to small-farm dairying in general. Yet, commercial processing and mass distribution makes it taste bad.

Conclusion? Get to know your local goat owner and purchase *ahem* 'pet milk' from him or her, or join the rest of us beyond the sidewalks and keep a goat yourself.

16. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm trying goat's milk this week since I've had a bad stomach problem lately maybe cow mil allergy. From store. It tastes a bit whiff plain but I can eat it on cereal and with a mouthful of brownie with no problems. Will try freezing for refresh flavor. And maybe if we get a dairy animal I'll try a goat first- we certainly can't use all a cow produces.

But best of all I do think avoiding cows milk is healing my gut.

17. Rick

Thanks for the reinforcement, Mark.

Your presumption is close- it was powdered goats milk!

We are not yet BTS, but we know we will want to have goats- before that, we will check out the "pet milk".

Thanks.

18. ChiliPalmer

ChiliPalmer Well-Known Member

It's likely true. Some people cannot tolerate cow's milk and have trouble for years without ever knowing the cause. Goat's milk has a deserved reputation for being much gentler. Raw whole cow's milk is much different than storebought and far less likely to kick up havoc with someone's digestion (to the point of families stating their lactose intolerance was cured by buying a dairy cow) but goat's milk is still better for people with stomach ailments, sensitive digestion (ie: babies) or allergies.

It's one of the reasons a person shoud look at more than a taste preference to decide which dairy animal to keep. Even more than the old cow vs goat debate, there's a strong argument that someone who wants to make milk soap and cheese ought to buy a... SHEEP! Ha! Many things to consider when buying a dairy animal.