goat milk question...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dale anne, Apr 22, 2005.

1. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

howdy ya'll...can goats milk be frozen?...i know cows milk can be cause i done it but didnt know about the goats milk cause the fat content and makeup....now if I can freeze it for how long?...and can it still be used for soap making after defrosting?should i pasturize it first? or not....i know it's alot of questions but new to the goats milk thing...just started milking my one doe...ohh another question lol....ok i know i should pasturize my milk but what about homegenizing{sp?]...i tested my doe for both cae and mastsis neg on both. i really dont want to drink it raw..something I think I will have to work up to...and i can pasturize it on the stove top in a double boiler? i read this on the net but get a 2nd opionin anyways...thanks for the reply's...dale anne

2. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

Yes you can freeze goat milk. It is your chose to pasturize or not. Goat milk is naturally homogenized so don't worry. I use frozen milk in the soap I make instead of water so it works there too. You will find that goats milk is very versitile and can do anything that cow milk can.

JR

3. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

You can freeze milk and then use it later for soap! I highly recommend it :) When you use milk for soap you don't have to pasteurize but doing so for consumption is personal preference. You need only to use a stainless steel pan and heat it to 165 degrees for 10-15 minutes and you're done.
    Goat's milk is pretty much naturally homogonized.