Goat milk Q

Discussion in 'Goats' started by IwannaFarm, Jun 15, 2005.

1. IwannaFarm

IwannaFarm Well-Known Member

Considering goats in the future, but anytime I've ever tried goat milk products (milk, cheese, yogurt) I can't stand it... it just tastes like..well, goat.. as if there is a goat breathing on me or something.
    But I've heard fresh-from-the-goat milk tastes like cow's milk.

Is that true?
    Thanks!

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Fresh goat's milk tastes a bit richer and sweeter than cow's milk, IMO. I prefer it. There really isn't any comparison between fresh and store bought milk.

My husband was very anti-goat's milk because all he'd ever tried was from the store. I snuck some fresh goat's milk into his cereal one morning and he couldn't tell the difference between that and cow's milk.

Is there anybody around you with goats who could give you some fresh milk to try?

3. IwannaFarm

Unfortunately no... we haven't lived here long enough to know anyone, and we're not in a livestock-area just yet...

4. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Yup, that stinky, nasty stuff in the stores scared me too, for a long time. Finally I took the plunge because everyone said it's not anything like fresh, and I found they were right! Now I hate it when my goats are dry and I have to buy that dirty, chemically tasting COW'S milk from the store.

And, just as an interesting note, even the PUPPIES I was raising once wouldn't drink store bought goat milk. They sucked down my friend's goat milk, though, with gusto!

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I have some in Maine....

It is different but when its fresh and cold its hard to tell the diff. I actually think its almost like drinking half/half because its so creamy.

6. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We have alpines and their milk is simply delicious. Stay away from Toggs as we have heard their milk tastes strong. Join the local 4H club and go to the fairs to learn about goats. Join the dairy goat assn. and find breeders in your area. Buy the best goats you can afford (get 2 does). Don't buy at the auction whatever you do as you are asking for trouble. Get them tested for CAE too.

7. uncleotis

uncleotis Well-Known Member

I agree with you 100% about having to drink the store bought cows milk when the goats are dry. YUK

On a side note, we have an older dog that got kicked to many times in his younger days, (he watched gates for my husband) and has a hard time getting up some times, more so in damp cold temps, I started to give him some goats milk every morning and evening after milking, about a cup or so. and after a couple of days he's getting around, and gets up a lot better and easier, I think it's the goat milk, my husband disagrees, but that's nothing new. I credit the milk, because it's summer here, and we've had rain also.

8. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

My kelpie has been stiff since he had to have knee surgery, and one of the medications he's on is called Duralactin. It's purified milk protein. It sure helps Buster get around, so it's entirely possible that it is the milk that's helping your dog.

9. mpillow

Our border collie gets milk too. She was purchased from a local Holstein farmer who soaks puuppy food in raw cows milk when he weans the pups. Our dog and cat split my toggy/alpine milk because her milk is not as nice as the Nubians.
    My pup is 6 months old.

10. IwannaFarm

You've all given me much to think about... I think perhaps I shouldn't write off goats just yet, but since it will be awhile before I have any, I will have lots of time to think about and research it...

Glad to know Goat's milk doesn't taste like the store-bought stuff...YUCK!! It literally just tasted like it had been some poor goat's bath!

11. BubbleTea

BubbleTea Active Member

I find that if I put the milk in a ice bath and let it chill through right after milking....it does not have a bad taste at all!

12. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

I agree that fresh goat milk tastes great!
    I did have Toggs and I did not care for their milk even though I have frends that think it tastes great.
    I have a goat that I milk that looks like a togg but I think she is alpine. I have been told that she is togg and I have been told she is alpine but whatever she is , she has wonderful milk that tastes like very fresh whole cows milk.

That stuff in the stores is not fresh enough and tastes goaty! Yuck!!

I put a ziplock bag of ice in my milk bucket and milk onto that as I get busy in the barn and can't get right to the house with my milk. I then strain it through a perminant coffee filter lined with several layers of cheeze cloth. The cheeze cloth comes folded up several times and I just cut off about 6 " of that to line my coffee filter with. Then I freeze the milk. The reason I do that is I can never remember to get it back out of the freezer before it is completely frozen so I don't even try. I have a jar thawing almost all the time in my fridge. :) Also one being used that is fully thawed. It keeps really well. I freeze in quart canning jars. Just remember to leave some space at the top so the jar doesn't burst.

13. Bart Wittke

Bart Wittke New Member

Goats milk should NOT have a strong taste to it; if it does the doe is likely being kept very near to a buck, or has an infection in her udder or the farmers milking practices are suspect. Fresh goats milk is rich and sweet. If you are used to store bought milk you will notice the higher percentage of butter fat.

14. uncleotis

uncleotis Well-Known Member

Hi
    You mentioned that you froze your goats milk in jars. I've frozen mine in well washed and rinsed plastic gallon milk jugs. When I thaw my milk, which I do in the frig. it has white lumps in it, I assume it's the cream, do you have this problem, if so is there a way you get rid of this? It doesn't hurt the taste one bit, just looks funny. Thanks[

QUOTE=Corky]I agree that fresh goat milk tastes great!
    I did have Toggs and I did not care for their milk even though I have frends that think it tastes great.
    I have a goat that I milk that looks like a togg but I think she is alpine. I have been told that she is togg and I have been told she is alpine but whatever she is , she has wonderful milk that tastes like very fresh whole cows milk.

That stuff in the stores is not fresh enough and tastes goaty! Yuck!!

I put a ziplock bag of ice in my milk bucket and milk onto that as I get busy in the barn and can't get right to the house with my milk. I then strain it through a perminant coffee filter lined with several layers of cheeze cloth. The cheeze cloth comes folded up several times and I just cut off about 6 " of that to line my coffee filter with. Then I freeze the milk. The reason I do that is I can never remember to get it back out of the freezer before it is completely frozen so I don't even try. I have a jar thawing almost all the time in my fridge. :) Also one being used that is fully thawed. It keeps really well. I freeze in quart canning jars. Just remember to leave some space at the top so the jar doesn't burst.[/QUOTE]

15. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

Yup, that's the cream. Separated finally...

16. mpillow

Shake thawed milk vigorously to "homogenize".

IMHO frozen is not as good as fresh but certainly far better than any goats milk you buy at the store!

I use plastic jugs for critter milk and glass pickle jars (thoroughly washed and descented) for human/cooking purposes when I freeze...I keep about a quart a day for the table and freeze alot more. I really need a bottle calf again but hubby says no 'cause I got 41 chickens...21 are broilers. Problem is the chix need the freezer room that all my milk is taking up.... :p