Goat milk market in IN?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by sugarspinner, Dec 17, 2005.

1. sugarspinner

sugarspinner Well-Known Member

A family member is interested in dairy goat production and possibly in, over time, establishing a dairy. Anyone out there know about an outlet for goat milk in Indiana? Contact persons? Any other info like ?????

2. crazygoatgirl

crazygoatgirl Well-Known Member

3. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

I don't believe there is an outlet for goat milk in Indiana. Tim Clark runs a dairy of over 500 head of goats but has to have his milk shipped to MN or Wisconsin, not sure which. I know of one other dairy starting up near here but I don't remember who is starting it.

You need to have a fairly large dairy in order for it to be worth the time and money to run it and be able to leaglly sell the milk.

4. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

As I understand it: Here in IN you cannot sell goat milk for human consumption. The state dairy inspection has never included goats so you cannot have it USDA approved, therefore you cannot sell it. HOWEVER...if you sell to another state I guess their state inspectors will check your operation??? I assume you'd have to live near the boarder for this...HOWEVER...there is a loophole here in IN... :rock: ....you can sell your milk for pet consumption, and it is up to the buyer to do with as they please. In other words, you sel it to the costomer who wants to consume it themselves, you tell them you can only sell it for pet consumption and they buy it anyways for themselves. If you are thinking a large operation then this won't work either. Hope this has helped.