Goat milk butterfat question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Shazza, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

:) I went to the Saanendoah website that someone reccommended in another thread. Very interesting reading and I have printed Johnes stuff to read.
    There is one section called "Problems which can frequently be related to NUtrition" ...and one is Low Butterfat test.....Sodium bicarbonate. Can someone tell me...cos it doesnt on the site...how sod bic could lift the butterfat % and why it does??.
    My Toggenburg doe failed her butterfat % test by .5%.. :waa: so only got a star and not her Q*....so I am very interested in what Sod bic can do. :)

2. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

If I remember right, the bicarb will lower the rumen pH. Grain acidifies the rumen and an acidic rumen doesn't make butterfat. Lack of sufficent roughage can lower butterfat too.

Here's an article:

http://www.gnb.ca/0170/01700008-e.asp

3. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

:worship: Thankyou Anna, I have printed the article and I know a few goat people here that will be interested in reading it. So bicarb won't help the fat %if the rumen ph is right....ours have unlimited access to hay and tree so I think getting the required fibre. :) The opposite to cows too, a goats butterfat decreases the longer the lactation. Penny was 2 1/2 mths into hers, it is recommended to be done at 4-6 weeks.

Does anyone else Herd/milk test? Do you have milk awards?